• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moving a conure

Clea

Checking out the neighborhood
My partner has a 3 year old high red green cheeked conure and we are moving him into my house and was just seeking some advice on the safest way to do this. I know this can be very stressful for them so want to make him as comfortable as possible. Is it best to keep him in his cage and let him relax in there or to let him explore to room straight away? Should we stay in the room or let him familiarise on his own? Any advise will be greatly appreciated:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have moved birds many times over the years; I usually do let them stay in their cage for a day or two, but I follow their lead. Some birds need more time than others :)

Clea

Okay thank you! I’ll see how he gets on with a day in the cage :)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:welave:
I hope you stick around and join in!

I have moved several times with my last GCC.
I think it's important, when calm, and things are unpacked . To get them out ( if/when ready) and give a tour. I start out just walking a little away from cage and back to cage , from the cage across the room and back to the cage. Then I walk with them around the room and tap the walls and windows. Oh, I also put up window clings or anti bird strike stickers , and keep sheers or blinds at first till they really learn all the windows! I try and teach them flight path back to the cage . And places they can land it perch. So when it's time for showing them a new room , I start back from cage and go to that room , then back to cage before going to a different room.

They are disorientated at first , and if spooked can fly into a wall. The tours help a lot I think, I do the walk from cage and back to cage more than once, I do the tours several times over the first few days. Then any spoils they have a mental msp back to cage or landing spots..

I always give extra treats the first day and week. I go ahead and give them millet spray , and hang a treat stick in their cage , and feed their favorites.

Clea

:welave:
I hope you stick around and join in!

I have moved several times with my last GCC.
I think it's important, when calm, and things are unpacked . To get them out ( if/when ready) and give a tour. I start out just walking a little away from cage and back to cage , from the cage across the room and back to the cage. Then I walk with them around the room and tap the walls and windows. Oh, I also put up window clings or anti bird strike stickers , and keep sheers or blinds at first till they really learn all the windows! I try and teach them flight path back to the cage . And places they can land it perch. So when it's time for showing them a new room , I start back from cage and go to that room , then back to cage before going to a different room.

They are disorientated at first , and if spooked can fly into a wall. The tours help a lot I think, I do the walk from cage and back to cage more than once, I do the tours several times over the first few days. Then any spoils they have a mental msp back to cage or landing spots..

I always give extra treats the first day and week. I go ahead and give them millet spray , and hang a treat stick in their cage , and feed their favorites.
Thank youI think this will be really helpful giving him a tour didn’t even think about that. Fingers crossed all goes well

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Also if you aren't used to living with a bird, and even when you are , it's easy to forget and open a door while the bird is out , it even scarier to try and walk out with bird on your shoulder.

Put sign by all exits , reminding you, friends, family, to check the bird is safely in the cage before you leave the home.