• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mouse in cockatiel cage

Tari&Miguel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charlotte
There are mice in my apartment I feel like I’m cleaning constantly and setting traps and seeing them run around. I cannot seem to figure out a way to live with birds and not have mice.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It is a long process of filling in all entry areas, using traps, keeping things in containers, moving furniture and cleaning/rearranging cupboards etc if they are bad.

I hope you get on top of the problem soon. Mice are bad for the health and safety of all other creatures in your home unfortunately.

There have been many ways to minimise numbers and problems discussed on this forum in the time I’ve been here. I’m sure if you look around (I’m hopeless with links but will learn lol) you’ll find a few threads with helpful tips. :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I hate to say it, but, leave your baby in the cage, secure and set traps..sorry, I had to help my freind get rid of mice ( they carry hantavirus virus)..we set traps daily with peanut butter and finally got them all, took 2 months.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Make sure you track down the source of food. You must keep both bird and human food in mouse-proof containers - glass or sturdy plastic is ideal. They will chew through thin plastic containers, plastic bags and cardboard boxes very easily.

Mice have been known to attack birds and they can carry diseases.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Blueberry Muffin on the traps. The smell carries and mice just cannot resist.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
As said above, keep using traps. Keep kitchen and other areas clean even if you can't really keep them away from your bird's cage. Keep your food in sealed containers. That may mean keeping much of your food products in totes if you have a bad infestation problem. It's breeding season right now. Once you kill a bunch in traps, your problem will hopefully subside soon. I know it's frustrating. I used to live in an apartment in an old building with the same problem.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
I hate to say it, but, leave your baby in the cage, secure and set traps..sorry, I had to help my freind get rid of mice ( they carry hantavirus virus)..we set traps daily with peanut butter and finally got them all, took 2 months.
You can also try putting the traps in places that are difficult for your birds to reach, but that mice will easily squeeze through--such as a closet, which you keep closed.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
The plastic snap traps like the t rex usually work very well as they don't understand what they are and run right into them and are usually immediately done. We have them too and they live outside and under the house and find all the small holes and gaps to get inside for the bird food. I have expanded foamed almost every hole I'm aware of and they haven't chewed through those areas yet. A couple mice have gotten lucky and got caught by a foot so those get a reprieve and get tossed outside to hopefully find a safer house to eat and shelter at. Under the house where no proper pet can get to I put bait.