• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moulting or plucking?

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
IMG_0859.JPG IMG_0856.JPG Hello, I have had my eclectus for about a month now. He came from a. Home where he spent a lot of time alone and in the cage with minimal interaction. He now gets at least 3 hour minimum outside the cage. We try to interact with him rather than just leaving him on the stand beside us. At the same time we give him space as not to stress him. But he seems to be getting some grey spots and I am worried maybe he could be plucking.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Post a pic of the feathers that he lost. It's easier to see if it's plucked or molt on the feather.

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
He doesn't seems to be pulling them out well at least in front of me. When he flies sometimes the fluffs fall out.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
When he flies sometimes the fluffs fall out.
That sounds like molting.
The pic isn't good enough to see if it's plucked or not. But the lost feathers on his throat seems strange.
How old is he, and is this his first molt?

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
He is 6 months old few days ago. I believe it's his first molt. I took him from a family that could only spend 30 min every few days with him.

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
A plucked feather should still have the quil?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He is 6 months old few days ago. I believe it's his first molt. I took him from a family that could only spend 30 min every few days with him.
He's too young to be plucking and just the right age for a good moult

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Ok great. Just being a nervous owner.

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
I had the same questions for my female - she is between 5-6 months at this time, and I've had her since early April.
She also started to exhibit a weird feather loss, at the top of her head, and around the neck area. I was very worried too. Everyone tells me it is likely her first molt, and she could be going through MOJO molt... I did start to notice today a bit of blue around her eyes. So It probably IS just a molt. :)

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Thanks a lot really hoping so. My fiancé did see him pull a grey feather off today. While preening. Maybe just a loose molt feather.

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Update of the possible plucking IMG_0914.JPG

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Henry, our Eclectus Parrot went through the same thing. It's just moulting.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
He's too young to be plucking and just the right age for a good moult
That's incorrect about the plucking or barbering. You can absolutely see it in a bird that young.

That said, it doesn't look like plucking or barbering. Feathers that were plucked and feathers that were molted will be whole, including the feather shaft or "quill". Sometimes plucked feathers will have a bit of flesh or blood on the very end where they were attached in the skin. You can also see barbering, which would look like just the tips of feathers snipped off. Are you sure about his age? It might just be the angle in the pic but he doesn't look like a baby

EsJ87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Esther
That's incorrect about the plucking or barbering. You can absolutely see it in a bird that young.

That said, it doesn't look like plucking or barbering. .... You can also see barbering, which would look like just the tips of feathers snipped off. Are you sure about his age? It might just be the angle in the pic but he doesn't look like a baby
would Barbering look like someone took a clean cut to the feather? I've seen a few of Poppy's primaries in the bottom off the cage, No quills. Just looks like i took a scissor to the feather and snipped it off. Very clean cut, doesn't appear to have been chewed on really. I thought it was Odd. I've found about 3 of these now.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
would Barbering look like someone took a clean cut to the feather? I've seen a few of Poppy's primaries in the bottom off the cage, No quills. Just looks like i took a scissor to the feather and snipped it off. Very clean cut, doesn't appear to have been chewed on really. I thought it was Odd. I've found about 3 of these now.
Yes that's barbering.

17A9AA74-1407-444C-9A58-751A6D52AF6C.JPG

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Tyguy35
Has I posted earlier, your male Eclectus looks in the same condition my Henry was at 6 months old. it's just a moult. I suggest you learn how to identify the difference between feathers that are moulted and plucked. Young birds can start to pluck and it can be cause by a number of triggers like stress, diet, mites, nutritional deficiencies, infections, boredom, cold temperatures or changes in husbandry practices.The challenge is to identify the triggers and take remedial action. This could be as easy as relocating the cage, or as complex as nutritional deficiencies caused by diet. For a young bird to be in this type of condition they haven't been looked after very well at all.

EsJ87,
The Mojo Moult.
The moulting pattern that is call the "Mojo moult" is named after a male Eclectus called Mojo, who was the first Eclectus that was observed with facial, head and neck balding during the moult. Eclectus can suffer Mojo Moult to a varying degrees of baldness on the face, head and neck areas when moulting, and it can persist for months. Most Eclectus moult without balding and males tend to suffer Mojo Moults more so then Females. New owners need to be aware of this pattern to prevent worrying about mites, skin and feather follicle infections, and Beak & Feather Disease (PBFD). Of Course a prudent owner would still arrange a Avian vet consultation. Just to be on the safe side.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Yeah that would describe barbering, birds that barber don't necessarily get bare patches but they can look really scruffy. Of course they can also damage the feathers playing roughly and it can happen during normal preening. I wouldn't worry unless you start finding tons of them