• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Mothering" behaviour

Raven Skies

Meeting neighbors
I've noticed that our female African Grey wants to "feed" my hands/fingers when I put my hand in her cage. She gently puts her beak over my finger and then regurgitates food onto my fingers. I know that that is how they feed their young but why does she do this with me? Does she consider me a part of her flock? Our male Grey tends to bite so we haven't found out if he does this too or is it only females who do this?

Also, we give them grapes and slices of apple as treats and they both have separate bowls for food, treats and then water too. I used to put their treats in their food bowls on top of their pellets but my sister always puts their treats in their treat bowls. I'm usually the one to give them treats so they've gotten used to having it on top of their food. I gave them grapes a few minutes ago and instead of putting it in with their food, I put it in their treat bowls.

The female Grey took the grapes one by one out of the treat bowl and placed it on top of her food in her food bowl. Is she trying to "correct" me by doing this, since she's used to me putting her treats on top of her food?

I know they are very clever so I don't know what to make of this

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
She probably has chosen you as her person and wants to feed you, plus maybe she thinks your a proper mate. As far as the treats, yes, she wants things the way she is used to and is putting out of place things where she knows they belong. My Maxi Pionus Nerd used to take any treats we gave him in his food bowl to his treat bowl or up to the treat cup on top of his cage that was his free ranging water and treat bowl depending on what he needed. They get to be creatures of habit and routine and maybe eventually she'll decide the new treat bowl is OK and maybe she'll keep taking them where they belong in her world. Nerd used to try and feed me but I was his chosen one and mate as far as he was concerned and I used to tell him thank you but I've already eaten.

Raven Skies

Meeting neighbors
She probably has chosen you as her person and wants to feed you, plus maybe she thinks your a proper mate. As far as the treats, yes, she wants things the way she is used to and is putting out of place things where she knows they belong.
Interesting. So my initial instincts were correct. I didn't know about her seeing me as her mate but it makes sense because she makes a noise that I can describe as huffing??? Whenever I try to give her scritches. She's very sweet.

Last edited: