• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Monkey Chow??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flahmingo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
While at the feed store yesterday, I met a Macaw breeder. He told me that monkey chow is good for birds. Any comments?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Monkey chow are bisquits usually made of different meals, corn, oat, even some bone meal. They are really not a staple for monkey or parrot. Some people give to parrots. They do have some fat in them and are very hard. Alot of people will soak in juice and feed to various animals and parrots. We used them at the zoo but I have never used for birds.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
Yeah, they sell them at the place I buy food for the babies.

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Monkey chow is good for Monkeys.

Parrot food is good for Parrots.

Two very different nutritional requirements and monkey chow was used in the past when there were no suitable extruded diet formulated for parrots. Now there are plenty of products designed for parrots.

Flahmingo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
Well, this Macaw breeder told me that 2-3 times a week a little monkey biscuit/chow was good for birds. Guess I'll pass on it though.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would pass. There is so much more nutritional treats and foods out there available for our birds.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Well, this Macaw breeder told me that 2-3 times a week a little monkey biscuit/chow was good for birds. Guess I'll pass on it though.
Monkey chow and/or monkey biscuits, have been a diet staple used by macaw breeders for decades.
I think most macaw breeders still use the product.

Cost effective way to feed, I suppose.

Doris

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The breeder is not comcerned with the health and welfare of the birds. He is concerned with the cheapest way to quickly get them to selling age (in his opinion) and get them out the door at maximum profit so he can start over and do it again.

The discussion starts with chicken and fish in moderation and degrades into beef, pork, sausage, bacon (yes bacon), dog food, cat food, monkey chow, blah blah.

Meat eaters have incisor teeth for ripping meat and molars for grinding meat. Parrots have beaks for gently shredding leafs, shoots, fruits, buds, roots, nuts and the occasional grub or insect. They are not meat eaters and if you feed them much at all, you are decreasing their lifespans. Talk to your veterinarian about the meaning of moderation. It is more like once every week to month and the size of you small fingernail. It is not much at all. Many very reputable vets discourage any meat. If they are given any meat it should only be chicken and fish, the very lightest meats.

If your bird will eat any legume (bean) and brown rice, it is getting every amino acid and protein that it needs. Parrots do not require animal protein.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
I have heard of breeders giving monkey biscuits to their macaws as a treat every now and then, but not as a steady diet. I have them here because we use them with the squirrels. I have broken them up and given my big guys a piece. Some like them, some don't. Riley likes to dunk it then eat it.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
The breeder is not comcerned with the health and welfare of the birds. He is concerned with the cheapest way to quickly get them to selling age (in his opinion) and get them out the door at maximum profit so he can start over and do it again.
Perfect description of any unethical, uncaring breeder who got into breeding purely for the *supposed* money to be made.

Most breeders care enormously about what they feed their breeding birds. Maintaining optimum health is vital for most breeders.
Our GW macaw came from an excellent breeder, who indeed cares what he feeds his birds.

It is very tragic that 'bad breeders' exist at all.

Doris

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Years ago before Pelleted feeds for parrots, many of us did feed Monkey Chow in addition to nuts, veggies, fruits, whole grains, etc. Some breeders fed Dog Food or dog biscuits as well. However, these were not a major part of their diets and generally used more as treats.

Skip the Monkey Chow and feed fresh sprouts, or whole grain pasta, sweet potato or something equally healthy.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
LOL!! Monkey chow to us is a cereal snack for humans! Lots of powdered sugar and chocolate! Yummmmmm!! :dance5:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I think there are much better alternatives on the market now to feed birds, and many better foods to use as treats than those designed for another species entirely.

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
I do have monkey biscuits and some O's (look like cherrios made from same stuff) One of my 3 YNA loves them and he gets one or two of the biscuits or some of the O's once or twice a week.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
----------------------------------------------------

It is amazing how the advice of the Macaw breeder can be taken out of context, and these assumptions be made.

MOST local breeders I know do give monkey biscuit...BUT that is NOT the staple of the diet. It is in addition to seed, pellets, veggies/fruit... a varied diet.
I give monkey biscuit to my tiels, and soaked monkey biscuit to my mousebirds. This is IN ADDITION to all the other foods they get.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Katee makes a Parrot Bisquit that has the same size and shape as monkey bisquits/chow but is nutrionally correct for hookbills/parrots. My macaws love it- the size and the crunch and I assume the tast appeals to them. Especially recommended for rescues that weren't eating/used to pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.