• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moluccan with a prolapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

bekah

Checking out the neighborhood
I am adopting a male M2 with a prolapse. Albert has been dealing with this issue for some time, has built up considerable immunity to the antibiotics used to fight infection, and has developed huge fears of towels, shots, etc. He did have the surgery to tack his insides to his ribs, but still has issues now and again. His condition is managed well by the rescue he lives at now, but he has recently lost alot of weight due to a bad infection. He has been getting better with antibiotics, as much as he hates it, and has been on an essential oil regimine as well. Does anyone else have a bird with this issue, or have had one in the past? Any advice on diet, or anything that has helped in your experience? I want to do all I can to help him live comfortably and avoid infection when possible. And for when it does happen, I want things to go smoothly. Any advice, anecdotes, etc would be great!

Attachments

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
sweet..he is gorgeous and bless your heart for taking him into your home...I have no recommendations except for follow up vet visits....hopefully someone will come on who has more knowledge of this.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
He is beautiful. Thank you for taking him in and loving him. I had a parrotlet who had prolapsed twice...she had egg issues so was on lupron, then she developed cancer...

I am sure someone will be on soon who can help you. My experience revolved around egg laying issues, so not much help there.

Again he is gorgeous and so lucky to be in a caring home.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Hi there and weclcome to the both of you! He is a handsome fellow. How do you give shots and medicine to him? When I had to give shots and meds to Opa, my umbie, I used loads of positive reinforcement. He does really well when being medicated. I would love to share this with you if you would like :)Also what kind of meds are he on? And are you giving him herbs?

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
He is gorgeous, bless you for bringing him into your heart and home. I have a feeling he will flourish with you.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Welcome to AA!!!

What a beautiful boy you are adopting. Since you are new I will just jump right on in it, to help prevent more problems with the prolapse, the best thing is to avoid doing full body rubs. With Albert I would limit any rubbing to the head and neck only.

This could be the reason for the prolapse in the first place, have your BCAV check him over that way you will have your own beginnings with Alberts health history.

Best of Luck!

bekah

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you for all the encouragement! I had heard that prolapses are usually hormonal, and are more common in females then males. I avoid petting most birds anywhere other then the head and neck, for just that reason- especially cockatoos. For him, the only time I pet him anywhere else is when bathing. Because of the prolapse, he's "leaky" and gets poo stuck in his tail feathers and around the vent area, so when we bathe him (real baths, submerged about chest high, as opposed to misting) I have to work over his underside pretty thoroughly. Now, he gets a bath like that once a month or so, but we've discussed upping that to once a week, or once every other week. I don't pet him near or under his wings, down his back, etc.

I'll be using the same AV he currently sees through the rescue- because he is special needs, and his needs may be unexpected, he is technically coming to me as a permanent foster. I'll be responsible for his routine care, and the medical care I can manage, but if it gets out of hand, the rescue will still help us out. He's coming from Macaw and Cockatoo Rescue of NM, just for the reference. :)

My first goal when he gets home(now that we've started to climb the hurdle of getting him out of the cage with all my fingers intact) is to get him eating lots of healthy things to put back some of the weight he's lost over the course of the most recent infection. I think it'll be easier once he's settled- now when I take him treats, birdy bread, nuts, veggies, etc, he'll take them, but gets far too interested in playing with me to actually eat it.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
hey, i know this guy!! i just cleaned his cage out a couple days ago. :heart:

bless you for taking him in as your own. i noticed there was a sign on his cage that said "adopted". i'm glad to see his new mom is on AA. :hug8:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Bless you . You came to the right place. You will get great advise here.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just saw you have gotten him from Anna! You can't go wrong listening to her advice and her vet!

Status
Not open for further replies.