• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moluccan Cockatoo

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
Can anyone share with me how loud a molluccan can be. I mean there are ways around having them scream etc. I met a lady who no longer wants her molluccan cockatoo. I have 2 macaws and really dont know what to do. I cannot get her to say why she no longer wants the bird other than its too much bird. My macaws are loud but i dont let them scream all i have to do is go to them and they stop. Concerned about neighbors

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
They are very loud. I've got a couple of videos of my M2 Zane being pretty loud on YouTube and they are not even him at his loudest. I'll link them when I get a chance :)

I'm happy to share my experience with you too. Ask anything and I'll do my best to answer it :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
At the parrot rescue I am involved with, they tell the story of a woman who had an M2 in the bathroom with her on her shoulder. He screamed and blew out her ear drum. They can be loud. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
M2s can sound off at 110 decibels...the same level as a small jet plane taking off...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They are THE loudest parrot there is. Bar none.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Make sure and read the link given to you. Macs have been known to die from bird dust they are exposed to. You need a home with separated areas and venting, heating systems to keep the Macs safe.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My macaws are loud but i dont let them scream all i have to do is go to them and they stop.
And as soon as you leave they start screaming again. You are actually reinforcing the behaviour by going to them. And a Moluccan cockatoo is going to take that to a whole new level.

Have you ever read this. You may recognize some things you're doing that maybe you shouldn't.

Screaming 101

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
when Missy the M2 (avian angel "G" s bird) gets going you can hear her for blocks. some where in her previous life she picked up burglar alarm, when she is ticked off that is her weapon of choice. she did it once in the car, HOLY $^*! my ears wanted to bleed. I have taken to my noise cancelling headphones with me to volunteer at the clinic.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Ok I'm clearly bias but I don't think they screams are that bad. Definitely loud but you can get use to it. There are times where it's overwhelming and you can't ever hear your own thoughts. But for me those times are rare. For me Moluccans good points far outshine any grief they give you.

My biggest concern is the dust factor and the harm it can potentially to your Macaws.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ok I'm clearly bias but I don't think they screams are that bad. Definitely loud but you can get use to it.
Say what? Speak up woman.

It is funny how after a while you can just "tune them out". Takes a lot of practice though. :D

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Say what? Speak up woman.

It is funny how after a while you can just "tune them out". Takes a lot of practice though. :D
Yeah but when you get screamed at everyday it's easy to "tune them out" :lol:
Even my "non bird people" parents have learn how to do it :D

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Ok I'm clearly bias but I don't think they screams are that bad. Definitely loud but you can get use to it. There are times where it's overwhelming and you can't ever hear your own thoughts. But for me those times are rare. For me Moluccans good points far outshine any grief they give you.

My biggest concern is the dust factor and the harm it can potentially to your Macaws.

I agree!! my youngest daughter is tormented:omg: by Elvis's screaming tantrum and I'm like ...lalalalalal~~~totally used to it:lol:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I have to jump in and really push the PHS thing because the B&Gs are especially sensitive to the dust...I would not put your babies at risk by taking in a dusty bird. I had a Patagonian Conure for a while that I nearly killed because of my dusty birds. When I found out what was going on, I rehomed her and I felt horrible for what I had done to her. She was an amazing bird and I had cut her life short for not knowing that she could suffer from such a disease just by living in a situation that had dust.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Off the subject of M2s for a second...I've gotten accustomed to Milton's vocalizations over time (or maybe just lost some hearing ;)) but now I'm getting used to conure vocalizations. They're quite different that 'toos...more shrill and at a higher pitch...and to me, more annoying. It's taking more time to tune out Buddy than I thought it would, but I'll get there eventually...;)

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
My Moluccan Cockatoo R.I.P Coco. Had a trumpeting, extremely loud call, you could hear blocks away. But mostly it was at dusk for several minutes, those several minutes were like being in an air raid warning . :shocking:

Last edited: