• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Moluccan 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Meredith
I need a crash course on any and all things Moluccan! I was just given an approx 8yo, (possibly but not for sure) female from a vet tech that I used to work with! I know some about them from vet teching, but I've never owned one. She's beautiful, in perfect feather and is fully flighted. Her mom rehomed her because of the amount of dust which was making her allergies flare worse and worse and because the noise level was getting complaints from the neighbors. The bird's name is Baby, and she talks and whistles some.... She's generally non aggressive except when she is experiencing the "height intoxication" such as when she's on top of her cage or where she can get up higher than you are....She's on Zupreem pellets and fresh fruits and veggies, etc. This is pretty much what I know of her. I've always been a macaw person, so...please HEEEELLLLP!:lol:
Thanks in advance!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats! She sounds like a sweetheart and a typical M2. I have a U2. I love the large Toos! There is mixed feelings as to whether Height dominance really exists. I guess with some birds it is possible. I have never experienced it in my 35 yrs of owning birds. Baby may act completely different when she gets to your home. Hopefully someone will come along with M2 experience. I can't wait to see pics!

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
Thanks Judy! I just saw your post on the macaw board. :) I posted a pic over there, but I will post her pic here too (I only have the one so far). She seems like she really wants to be sweet, but she's very reserved and not sure about me just yet. I can understand, tho. It has to feel like being abducted by aliens! LOL!

Attachments

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
If you have a macaw then just play it by ear...despite all the hooee on the net they aren't that difficult to deal with. Chin up the three of you will be OK, common sence and do everything with love and all will work out. Good luck!

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Meredith she is beautiful! I'm sure after some time she will bond just fine with you! Lucky girl, lucky you!

Reactions: Ice

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Part of the reason that Tooz are difficult are the reasons people get them. They are sweet and cuddly looking and just want to be hugged.

If you are a "macaw" person and don't carry your bird around all day, or sit and hug and pet a macaw all day you should do well. With macaws they don't particularly want you to do those things. So that they are a good bird you need to set boundaries. ALL of those things work with a too it is people who just don't always do it.

Some of their play is a bit different or toys that interest them. They are into leather and knots with some being able to tie knots or to threat beads on a string. They are nosey little things and like to know what you are doing. They love mechanical type things so they can show you how smart they are.

Hope this has helped some.

Peggy

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
She is going to be on pretty good behavior for the first month or two until she feels comfortable enough to show her true colors. When that honeymoon period is over your going to see a different bird. It may be good or bad. There is no way to tell until it happens. One thing is for sure, you are going to see a "different" bird in about 2 months. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Marie-France

Walking the driveway
Real Name
France Bégin
I don't know why I have not experienced that honeymoon stuff with any of my birds....:confused:

They are all rehomed except for Tom which we had adopted at 1 year old - not a baby anymore - and he had already developed behaviour issues. He became instantly a sweetheart at home:D Zazoo My LSC2 just improved in time, no honeymoon, the harder time was at the beginning.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
M2s are real characters. They can be hilarious. But if she is displaying, screaming, or dancing, do not ask her to step up. Most of the time, they bite when they get excited.

Joey

Hit the Road
She is going to be on pretty good behavior for the first month or two until she feels comfortable enough to show her true colors. When that honeymoon period is over your going to see a different bird. It may be good or bad. There is no way to tell until it happens. One thing is for sure, you are going to see a "different" bird in about 2 months. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
hahaha funny. 'true colors'. oh boy. ;D

Baby looks great. hope you two get along nicely.

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
:omg: I'm gonna be driving you guys crazy with questions, I can see that already! Thank you all for the great tips! I REALLY appreciate it!!!!!!!!
She does lots of displaying and dancing, even when I'm not near her. Mostly she likes to hold onto the side of her cage and "swoop" her head and upper body down, then back up and repeat. I see this as a display of some sort...have NO idea what it means, but I can at least tell when she seems to be in a "mood". Today she's out exploring her new digs. She is eating well (thank God) and is pretty vocal with "Hiii Baby" "good bird" and various whistles. She's totally amusing herself which is something I will encourage. She did step up for me to come out of her cage and allowed me to play with her crest feathers, but I kept it short and minimal until I know she is enjoying it (she seemed kind of stiff and unsure, so I didn't want to push it). And I discovered she LOVES sweet peppers! :) I got a couple more pics of her, but have to wait till DH can jury rig the camera back up to the computer....

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
OK! Well, so far she seems to love fresh cut poplar and mulberry branches from our trees...all pesticide free of course! ;) She's gone to town stripping them of bark and leaves and whittling away at them. YAY!:laughing12:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
She is beautiful and only a couple years older than my Nani. They are the best birds. Inquisitive, smart, and can be so sweet. After she becomes more comfortable her personality will shine. Glad she loves the branches. Nani loves chewing wood. Have plenty of it!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
I can tell she's a little wood-chuck! LOL! Thankfully we have lots of trees to supplement regular wood toys for her to destroy.
Speaking of wood...does anyone know if Hedge (aka Osage Orange) is safe for avid wood chewers? It's a very hard wood, and is usually used as fence posts around here, but it might give her something that will take more than a few minutes to turn into tooth picks. We have lots of them growing in our woods....

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Not sure....found this site, not realy bird related, but it says something about it containing toxic compounds...might not want to risk it, unless someone knows something more....?

Is osage orange safe to use? - Frog Forum

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
That was most informative and greatly appreciated!! Thank you very much Leslie!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.