• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

molting?

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
I haven't made a post in awhile because things have mostly been going well for my bird - but i have been very worried because i have been finding small feathers on the bottom of the cage. It started a couple days ago when i found 5 small feathers on the bottom of the cage. since my bird is pretty clumsy i assumed he had got into some trouble in the middle of the night. he seemed uninjured though. the next day there was 2 or 3 feathers on the ground. and today there was 5 or 6 more feathers on the bottom of the cage. of course now I'm starting to freak out, Im hoping he's just molting but I'm not sure. some of the feathers on his head/chest/near the tail look unorganized (feathers sticking out. and just kind of messy) I'm very concerned. things otherwise seem normal. but i am strongly considering taking him to the vet, but he could just be molting. and i wouldn't want to stress him out for nothing..

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I would guess it's a molt, though pictures would provide more information if you could take some?

Does he have a bunch of pin feathers on him? That's a sign he's just going through a molt.

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@Sylvi_ I can try to take some photos. but they might not turn out very good - as for the pinfeathers. I'm not really sure how to identify them... he does have a few very shiny feathers by his beak. but those have been there for awhile.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
@Sylvi_ I can try to take some photos. but they might not turn out very good - as for the pinfeathers. I'm not really sure how to identify them... he does have a few very shiny feathers by his beak. but those have been there for awhile.
Here's an old photo of my GCC when she went through a rough molt. The stiff, white feathers on her face/head are pin feathers. Birds can look pretty rough when they molt, so I wouldn't worry too much. image.jpeg Just make sure to offer plenty of bathing opportunities during a molt, it helps to break up the pin feathers and ease discomfort.

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@Sylvi_ Okay. thanks for the advice! the only thing is i only see two feathers which (might) be pin feathers. i still haven't gotten around to taking a photo. but he mostly looked normal but with kind of messy feathers (you can see the gray parts of some feathers. which i assume is where the other feathers fell out) and he has two shiny feathers that look like pin feathers by his beak. but those feathers have been there for awhile and i haven't seen any others.