• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molting -- Diet Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

jylu97

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Liz
So, last year Tori (my 27 year-old YNA) had her first extensive molt. I thought she would have a complete molt and eventually replace all her worn feathers, but it was incomplete (less than 50%). I think she did replace all her flight feathers, though. This year she has also been molting quite heavily. No doubt a lot of this has to do with her diet (changed to pellets 2-3 years ago).

My question is do any of you go to a higher energy feed during these times of stress to promote more molting and better feather growth? I was considering going to the high-potency Harrison pellets, but I was afraid that she would then reject the regular Lifetime Harrison after giving it. I was also afraid to give her more calories because she is not very active, so I don't want to promote obesity. I have been giving a little more RPO during this molt.

What do you guys all do with your zons during this stressful period besides giving them a spa treatments (I gently break her pin feathers for her).

Liz

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I really don't do anything different, diet wise, with Max or any of the fids when they are molting. I feel like I have them on a good, nutritious diet; fresh veggies, assorted fruits, birdie mash and Harrison's Coarse Pepper pellets. They do recieve more showers and I do help with pin feathers for those that let me.

Status
Not open for further replies.