• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Molting Advice

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Toro is going through her first molt since we've had her (about a month and a half so far) and it seems like a lot of feathers, I'm used to a parrotlet molt and maybe it's just the the feathers are a lot bigger and I'm being overly paranoid that she's molting too much or something. She just has a 2-3 very small spots where her gray fluff is showing, and I haven't caught her pulling out or plucking, she preens plenty but it seems like that's normal.

Should I be getting her more protein or trying to bathe her more often? Right now it's about once a week that she'll get excited about going in the shower with us and getting all wet, I could probably try to push for more. And for food, she's been getting some fresh mango, apple, half a Brazil nut or walnut, chard, butternut squash with a few squash seeds, and plenty of the Fruit Zupreem pellets. Should I add some egg white to her daily mix to help her through the molt?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Moulting is part of life. Nothing "special" is needed other than a good healthy diet.

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Moulting is part of life. Nothing "special" is needed other than a good healthy diet.
Thanks for the reassurance. I'm the type of person who gets too worried a lot so I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't a concern if she had a couple of patchy spots. I certainly don't mind, she's still just as cute as always, I just want to be sure she stays healthy and comfortable.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Rupert tends to be a bit more grumpy and itchy, so I offer him baths (he doesn't always go for it, but it's there). He enjoys being preened so long as the pin feathers aren't too "fresh".

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Rupert tends to be a bit more grumpy and itchy, so I offer him baths (he doesn't always go for it, but it's there). He enjoys being preened so long as the pin feathers aren't too "fresh".
Yeah she has been pretty receptive to preening, though she's pretty fickle about when she's in the mood for it haha so we only preen her when she's showing signs of enjoyment of it.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Rupert can be fickle during the peak times as well. My usual method is to give just a quick scratch (few seconds worth), and then hold my hand nearby. He will usually indicate if he wants more by rubbing his face on me (please continue!), or by tapping me with his beak or grooming himself (I'm done!).

hedylarue

Meeting neighbors
If she's itching a lot, I would give her more frequent spritzes with some warm water even if she doesn't want a full bath.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
:wideyed: When Sherman, WCP, joined us, she was still molting. Luckily, this wasn't my first or I really would have worried, too. It looks kinda scary and you question everything!

The conures are going through it. :(
Daytona dunks her head in her drinking water often; Sir Lancelot bathes 3-5 times daily; Duchess will sometimes just sit in her bath water followed by frantic flapping.

My beautiful Glenn, IRN, looks scraggly and I wonder if he's found a new way to hurt himself.:confused:

It helps to remind myself that its nature's way of dealing with the seasons and that's why I'm always vacuuming. :hehe:

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Thanks for the added tips and reassurance! I know I'm a bit of a worry wort on it hehe.