• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Misc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
My 4 yr. old Quaker that I adopted about 21/2 weeks ago because the previous owners were no longer able to take care of him doesn't play with any of his toys. Is that normal for a Quaker? He adjusted to me and his new surroundings immediately, so I don't think that's the problem. Also the previous owners gave me a couple of toys of his that he liked, but he still doesn't play with them. He seems very well adjusted and happy, so I guess I shouldn't worry. My Lovebird plays constantly with his toys. I guess it depends on the breed.
Also I was worried about putting a harness on my Quaker since he's almost 5 yrs. old and has never had one on that I know of. I just watched the video that came with the harness and did the wings exercises with him and he did very well with it. He normally doesn't like to have his head, face or neck touched, but I ran my hand over his head from front to back from behind and he was fairly patient with that. I realize that I'll have to get him used to me doing it from in front of his face in order to slip the harness over his head, but I was very pleased with how things went the first time. I have plenty of time to work with him before it gets warm enough to take him outside. He has a very sweet, gentle personality, so, hopefully I'll succeed in getting him to let me put on the harness. If anyone has any suggestions that works for them, I'd love to hear them.
I am, though, curious to hear from those Quaker owners that may have some ideas as to why Ricky doesn't play with any toys. You would think he'd be bored.
Thank you.

Marty

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
So am I to understand you have only had him 2 weeks? He may just be to busy checking out his new place. Topaz has one toy she just loves the rest well get a peck from time to time but not like the one she just loves. She does not play all the time but she well play on her own.
For now I would not worry to much and just give it some time.
One thing you could do is play with the toys in front of him to remind him was they are. Other then that relax and enjoy your new quaker.

annie1

Walking the driveway
Real Name
manuela
i had my quaker for 8 years now and he does not play with a whole bunch of toys himself since he has a big playarea on top of his cage he does not touch the once inside his cage at all ,so i use them to rotate on the play area .but mine only love a few toys and attacks them hahaha thats just how he plays wild lol but give him time and he will pick his favs and play with it ,they r not like amazones and destroy them ......at least mine doesent . 0125121714a.jpg :)

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
Yes, you're correct. I've only had him a little over two weeks. When I'm home his cage door is always open. I have a perch on the inside of he door, so that is his favorite place to be most of the time which may be one of the reasons he doesn't play with his toys. I did notice the other day, he's starting to chew on one of his rope perches, which is the same thing my lovebird does. You have a good idea about showing him the toys and playing with them a little. I'll try that tomorrow. Thank you.
He's such a sweetheart. I can't get over how friendly he is to me, even from the moment I brought him home. He talks some, but right now it's mostly mumbling and I can't understand him, but he's hilarious. He does say "step up" plain as day. Of course, he won't do it, but he says it. lol

Marty

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
Thank you for responding. Ricky doesn't have a play area on top of his cage, but I put a rope perch and hung some toys on the outside of his cage. So far, he prefers hanging out on the perch that I have attached to the inside of his cage door. When I'm home the door is always open until bed time. That may me one reason he doesn't play with his toys. He spends most of his time on that perch. I did buy him a table top play gym, but so far he just stands on it and looks around. I think since he is almost 5 yrs. old and I've only had him a little over 2 weeks, as the other Quaker owner said, he's probably still getting used to his new surroundings.

Marty

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
By the way. If anyone is interested in seeing a picture of Ricky, it's under Tango1. I'm registered under that name because that's the name of my Lovebird and I had her first.

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Out of 4 of my Quakers, Bubba doesn't play much with toys, he will the odd time, but he prefers to play in his cardboard box, I put at bottom of his cage, he drags his foot toys in there, and plays there, he also has fun playing under newspapers of his cage, I have tried many different type toys, but he rather plays with his box,

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo is not big on toys; he likes to shred paper and chinese finger trap toys, and likes to play with chains on occasion but he honestly is not at all that interested in toys.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Maybe try some different types! I hang them near the perch on the door too.:highfive:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I bought my Sun Conure Nicky when he was 11 months old. In his whole life, he had never seen a toy, or a swing, & even though he's now 6, he still hardly ever plays w/toys, & is scared to death of swings. What I did was, bought a whole bunch of foot toys from T4W, & a good length of small plastic chain. Nicky loves to do one thing--sit on my shoulder, & chew on my shirt. So I made a necklace out of the chain, used SS links & fastened 8-10 foot toys around the 'necklace', & he started playing with it! It has been hard, but if I put a foot toy in front of him, he doesn't want to play, he wants to get back on my shoulder. So, we're working on it. When I see videos of parrots playing enthusiasticall w/ their toys, yelling & screaming & having so much fun, it almost brings me to tears, I'm so sorry that Nicky is missing out on that. I guess there's a window of opportunity for parrots to learn how to play, & if they're denied that, it's hard to make it up, kind of like human babies. To be well-rounded, birds need more than to be hand-fed, they also need to be nurtured all during their development. Sorry about the long post, but if you try the necklace idea, it might help--if he doesn't sit on your shoulder, maybe you can hang some foot toys near where he perches. Good luck!

Oh, & try using their urge to 'build' a structure. Look on YouTube for quakers building structures--there's one who's given popsickle sticks & builds amazing nests over a period of several days. There are also stiff paper things (I think from California Bird Nerds) that you can provide for him to use. If you call CBN, I'm sure they would be glad to help you!
:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.