• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Military Vs. Buffons

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I always thought the tail feathers was a 100% sure way to tell purebred militaries from buffons.

Military macaws have burgundy tail feathers

Buffons have an orange-red look.

The green of a buffons is said to be lime green. However Google shows many buffons with darker green feathers. However the tail feathers are always 100% either burgandy(military) or red-orange(buffons).

The eye ring is not 100% safe way to tell. Diet and age affects eye ring coloration.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
So I was able to stop over and see the birds this weekend. I got a few pictures, but the lighting wasn’t great. Was unable to see his band number. He was next to a Greeenwing and he is bigger than the GW. His feathers are a lime green for sure. Even though I saw him before I was surprised at jus how big he is. There is also a Military in quarantine and I was able to compare color and size. I’m leaning towards him being a Buffons because the feather coloring was very different and they weren’t even close in size. I’ll post what the pictures that I was able to take.

F250F132-CE3C-4E4A-AE30-F6785F3BECC8.jpeg
D9338988-ECB0-43B4-B85E-40915DBB5742.jpeg

Compared to the Military:
CB5EBB7F-297D-49F8-B012-FED9EA5FAD05.jpeg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award