• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Military, Buffons, RF, or Illigers?

Which macaw?

• Military

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Red Front

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Illigers

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Buffons

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cephus

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Brian
Personally, I'm biased towards Military Macaws, but I've played with most of the above and I think they'd all make a fine addition to a family. That said, I'm never giving up my Dragon, he's probably the best Military I've ever interacted with in my life. :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would choose an Illigers or Red Front,I think they are just such amazing Macs :heart:

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I should say that I'm hoping to be living in California by the time I get them. ;)
Also, I have volunteered for 5 years and know what it takes to care for macaws. I have also bird sat for 2 large macaws on several occasions who are cage free in a bird room so I know how messy they are and how much enrichment they need.
Also, Bill, that Military is absolutely gorgeous! And so are those Illigers Holiday, though I think Patrick is gorgeous too. :)

Last edited:

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love all of the macaw species, they are just beautiful birds. As members have posted, preferences vary. You should chose the right bird for you...and the bird should choose you once you decide on your species choice. There is a huge difference in the size of a Buffons, Military, RFM and an illigers, and their personality depends on the bird. What type of personality are you looking for?

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I am looking for a bird who can be affectionate, but can also be independent. One who can be playful but also just hang out with me. And smart, so I can do positive reinforcement training with them.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am looking for a bird who can be affectionate, but can also be independent. One who can be playful but also just hang out with me. And smart, so I can do positive reinforcement training with them.
In my experience with macaws, all species are quite independent and enjoy hanging out with other macaws and humans. They are all smart, some talk...others don't, and some are more affectionate than others, but all of ours love to be skirched and to play. All four species would make great companions for a caring parront.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, my RFM is very smart, but she's also the least independent. My Illiger's is the most independent but the least affectionate. Actually, your description. on balance, sounds more like my B&G :p

NikkiCat

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
In my opinion the Red Fronted. Why? Well, I have heard Military and Buffon's are "spicier" macaws. I tend to lean towards the more laid back. I am interested in the Illiger's too, but I haven't found enough information about them at this point in time. Though they do seem more mellow then other mini's. Red Fronts seem to be a good macaw that is right in the middle of acting like a mini mac and a large macaw. All generalizations of course!
I agree with Holiday's post too about the B&G being what you are looking for in terms of balance...affectionate, independent, playful and smart.
Again, this is just my opinion. Go with your gut, or what you really want.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.