• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Military, Buffons, RF, or Illigers?

Which macaw?

• Military

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Red Front

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Illigers

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Buffons

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I have decided that my next bird will be a macaw. I have an ifinity for military macaws especially after forming a close bond to one at the rescue I volunteer at. I have also been interested in red fronts for a while and more recently, illigers.
So, if you were me, which one would you get?
I do prefer to get a rehome if that helps your decision. And I'll probably end up getting a 2nd macaw at some point.
This is not hapening any time soon, I'm guessing it will be at least a few years, in the meantime I'm happy with my two.
And I'm also open to Buffons as well.
I've done research on both Militaries and Red Fronts but haven't really read much about Illigers, so feel free to share their personality traits as well. :)

TITANIS

I'm first person to vote so my vote counts most, LOL!! :D :p

Seriously, RFM is my fav mac as most here already know. Whichever species you decide best of luck! :cool10:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I do really love Red Fronts. Another thing I'm taking into account is the size difference between my pis, though I'd probably have seperate bird rooms for them. I had actually decided a while ago that I wanted a Military and a RF but now recently after watching Holiday's videos I'm thinking maybe an Illigers and a RF, but keep going back to the Military. Another "dream" bird would be a hy, which I'm not sure would ever happen, but if it did I think a Buffons would be a better match. :lol:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I LOVE red fronts. One of my dream birds, and the only macaw I would consider bringing home with me.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
i personally would get a big and a small for your circumstances(birds that you want). of course i'm biased towards the militaries as well. :heart: gotta love those red fronts though!

iluvsunconure

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raymond :]
Theres is a special place for militaries in my heart :heart:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Allison, I think you should get the individual bird that you connect with. Sounds like that would be a Military, but if this is a couple of years away, who knows what could happen. I do know that Illies are minis, and you've expressed before that they weren't your cup of tea (they have a lot of similarities with both Severes and Hahn's, although they're a little mellower, IME). So, I think I'd rule that one out in your case. Between a Military and an RFM, I'd pick the RFM, but then, this is your bird, your preference, and everyone is different. I can tell you that my Zoe would *not* be for everyone. If you've connected with Militaries before, I think that might be your best bet :hug8:

MacDaddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bob
I would love a Buffon!!! I almost bought one this past Spring, they are truly amazing and can be incredible companion macaws, that being said, I would also seriously consider the Red Front, they are simply awesome! If I had to choose between the two, it would be extremely tough, but I think I would choose a RFM because they are so darn cute and I already have a 747 Jumbo with Miss Maggie.:) They say good things come in small packages...

Arachloroptera

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Ok, I voted Buffons because I have a passion for the BM and the GW but my set-up is more conducive to the big Guys. If I were set-up in a house a RF would probably be my choice fully flighted. I am warming to the larger minis though.:rolleyes:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I will have to say Illigres as I have 2 beautiful ones. I am sure they are all beautiful, I think you will be happy with any of them:hug8:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Allison, I think you should get the individual bird that you connect with. Sounds like that would be a Military, but if this is a couple of years away, who knows what could happen. I do know that Illies are minis, and you've expressed before that they weren't your cup of tea (they have a lot of similarities with both Severes and Hahn's, although they're a little mellower, IME). So, I think I'd rule that one out in your case. Between a Military and an RFM, I'd pick the RFM, but then, this is your bird, your preference, and everyone is different. I can tell you that my Zoe would *not* be for everyone. If you've connected with Militaries before, I think that might be your best bet :hug8:
I have nothing against minis I love Hahns macaws actually, but I do like the larger macaws more. Severes are the only macaws I would probably never want but only because all the ones I've met have absolutely hated me. :lol:From what I've seen, Illigers seem a little less cranky than the severes I've met.
Ok, I voted Buffons because I have a passion for the BM and the GW but my set-up is more conducive to the big Guys. If I were set-up in a house a RF would probably be my choice fully flighted. I am warming to the larger minis though.:rolleyes:
When I get a macaw I will most likely get an indoor aviary or possible convert a 2 car garage into a large bird room and would also have an outdoor aviary. :p
If I wait a little longer I could probably get a Buffons and a hy which would be my ideal, but am not sure if that would ever happen or not.

Arachloroptera

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Ok I think this thread needs a visual to help us along :cool: :cool1: Special thanks to Marie for the picture of the most beautiful military I've seen and to Holiday the only person I know with an Illigers (hope you guys don't mind)

Patrick-ave.JPG redfronted-ave.JPG Jazzrampe[1].jpg buffonsavenue.JPG

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
All four are beautiful birds!

Matt

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Doubt you will find a rehomed Buffons! I love my miligold, so I vote Military or RF!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok I think this thread needs a visual to help us along :cool: :cool1: Special thanks to Marie for the picture of the most beautiful military I've seen and to Holiday the only person I know with an Illigers (hope you guys don't mind)

View attachment 72258 View attachment 72259 View attachment 72260 View attachment 72261
Oh, I don't mind in the least :hug8: But, Patrick is just a 9-month baby in that picture, and he doesn't have his adult coloring. Here's a link to one of Denise's threads. She has a gorgeous pair:
http://forums.avianavenue.com/macaw-motorway/54342-brady-patrick-maria-mikey-say-hi.html

Nìmwey

Strolling the yard
I'll say what I say to anyone who wants to know what species to pick - depends on what you want with your bird and what you can give it/them. :cool:
An Illigers and a Buffons differs a lot, so if you know more about what you want, I guess the choice will be easier. If you still can't decide and think you could handle and take care of any of them, wait until the right bird comes, regardless of whether it's a Military, Buffons, red-fronted or Illigers.

But just think of the space two Buffons will take... :o:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would choose either military or buffons :)

Arachloroptera

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran

Oh, I don't mind in the least :hug8: But, Patrick is just a 9-month baby in that picture, and he doesn't have his adult coloring. Here's a link to one of Denise's threads. She has a gorgeous pair:
http://forums.avianavenue.com/macaw-motorway/54342-brady-patrick-maria-mikey-say-hi.html
:omg:...osh, how has this beautiful mini escaped me... I've never seen a fully colored adult, and I thought I'd seen every cool bird.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:omg:...osh, how has this beautiful mini escaped me... I've never seen a fully colored adult, and I thought I'd seen every cool bird.
They are very pretty, aren't they? I'm totally biased, but I think they're the most beautiful mini :heart:

DarkSoldier246

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Eric
If you're in no rush you should just wait until that one special Macaw comes to your shelter and you can fall in love and live happily ever after :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.