• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Might be getting a Cockatiel

Jenw12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
So I was going to get a Sun Conure but I realized that they may be right for me, but not my whole family.

So I just started studying up on Cockatiels and fell in love with them. I was going to wait a little longer before getting one to learn more about them through other's experience and care guides. I have read all that was given here and nothing has deterred me away yet!!! :p

Anyway, there is a two year old Cockatiel that is in need of rescue. He is two years old and they say he is very sweet. He is about a 1.5 hour drive from where I live. Comes with his cage, food, toys, treats, books on how to care for him, and he has had a vet check all for 125. Price doesn't matter to me, but I think that is perfect as quarantine in my house isn't perfect, so that he has been to the vet makes me feel better.

Any advice? I'd love to hear some of your experience with Cocktiels and what made you choose them, or actually how they to choose you. <3 :D

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Just want to say congratulations! I have a soft spot for cockatiels. I had two (at separate times) and they are wonderful.

Jenw12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
I have called the man to see about getting him. I am very excited!!!

I have only had budgies. So how much different are they to them? I actually have three young budgies at the moment. Can they play together? (Not be in the same cage of course)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Lady Jane will know about that.

I believe they can play together. I can only speak to my tiels, they are lots louder than budgies and very curious. They like to be right with you and take part in what you're doing, including eating your paper if you're drawing, and sharing your food if you're eating.

I had a foster daughter with a budgie and it was afraid of my tiel. I'm sure over time they would have settled down. Her budgie didn't get much out of cage time, that would have helped them get to know one another.

Your tiel will probably be happy to have other birds for company. You should quarantine him first so that, if he has anything contagious your budgies don't catch it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels are wonderful little birds. I would introduce them slowly to each other but it's quite possible they can play together. You just have to watch because even though budgies are smaller they can actually bully a cockatiel because tiels are so laid back generally.

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
yes budgies can be quite assertive! i think cockatiels are definatley curious and sensitive also. my tiel is tired at the mo and yawning, its 5.24 pm and i reckon he'll be going to bed soon. :goodnight:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope getting that cockatiel works out! You really can't go wrong with a tiel, they are such wonderful little birds! They are generally more laid back and less active than a budgie. As mentioned, your cockatiel might get along with your budgies okay, but you will have to supervise closely, because the budgies might injure your cockatiel. Your new bird might be very interested in your budgies, and he might try to keep going over to see them. If the cockatiel was an only bird for two years, and he didn't have any contact with other birds, you can consider him quarantined already. Let us know if you get him!

Underscorrr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dylan
Good luck! I just bought a cockatiel named Peaches last Saturday, and so far, she has done nothing but warm my heart. The only issue I have with her is that she eats quite a lot, and gets very aggressive while eating. Other than that, she is a very happy little birdie. I can't wait to see pictures!

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I feel cockatiels are very vocal. At least mine was. Budgies make noises but cockatiel voices carry. Make sure noise isn't an issue for you. They're also dusty so if you have allergies or asthma they can affect both conditions. It happened with one of our kids.
On the flip side, they can be very sweet and loving. And will hang out with you, sing with you, talk to you, try to eat your food. Mine was easy to train and are always ready to interact. But he had been attacked by his mom so he was exposed to human touch pretty early on.
And that's another thing, all birds are different so if you want a cuddly bird make sure this little guy likes being handled.
I chose a cockatiel because my husband raved about the one he had as a kid and I wanted a bird that was more low maintenance. Example, they need toys and can shred through things but not at the same rate as the bigger birds. As I did my research I liked what I read and so I got one!
Anyway, I think it's great you're giving a bird in need a home. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Don't forget to quarantine the new bird for 30 days. We just had an event where by the person did not quarantine a new budgie and this budgie died from a very contagious disease. You don't want that to happen.

As far as a cockatiel getting along with budgies and vise versa I think it totally depends on the birds themselves. Not the same cage as you say. I would work towards that slowly.
Supervision of the birds out of the cage is necessary during that time period. Please keep us posted as to how things go with the birds.

RyleeRae

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rylee brinkerhoff
I have had 2 cockatiels before. One died unexpectedly, the other flew away, and I could never find him. I miss them both, they were very sweet. Bruce my first one loved to shower, and would always sing happy birthday, or more like whistle. Grey my second one loved to sit on my shoulder and nap. He would let me kiss him, But he didn't like to be pet. I have always loved cockatiels and they would be a great choice for a pet bird. Very sweet!

Good luck!

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Tiels are my favorite - I have 5. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. They can get noisy with their alarm calls but it does not last long. Two of mine love human interaction and three really like each other...

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Another tiel owner here. I've only had girl tiels but for my lifestyle they are the best. Bella is playful, cuddly, does chirp and can screech a bit when she is hormonal. She makes me laugh all of the time and wants to get into whatever I am doing. She gets a fair amount of out of the cage time. Sometimes she likes to play with all of her toys on her cage, and sometimes, she wants to hang with me. Tiels can also be stubborn little birds but Bella is so cute when she is stubborn so all I can do is laugh. Especially when she shows me her butt. Tiels are a little more laid back than budgies so any playtime has to be supervised. Good luck with getting the tiel. You won't regret it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope that you are able to get the 'tiel. I have two, Callisto and Kuiper, and have had others in the past. Callisto is sweet and friendly although she complains but it's probably because of her bad foot. Kuiper is nippy and I have been bitten a few times. Has nothing to do with male vs female, IMO, because my male 'tiel Smokey who I had for 23 years was extremely sweet. I did have a budgie and Smokey at the same time many years ago and I could put them on a stand together and they were always OK. Depends on the individual bird.

Jenw12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
Thank you for all that have responded!!!

I will definitely be quarantining him, even though he got checked by the vet. I just am glad that he has had a very recent vet check and it is like a bonus.

While I doubt my female budgies will want anything to do with him (or me haha), My male budgie is really coming out of his shell and is sweet and gentle so I feel, with supervision and guidance, they will be able to play together.

I doubt the noise will be an issue for me, thankfully, I am a person that likes to have the TV in the background or birds chirping on my phone, etc. So having birds and noisy animals saves me energy bills. I just don't like it quiet unless it is at night and even then we live on a busy street so there's that, haha.

The people fostering him say that he loves to dance to music and that he loves to whistle all the time, but over all he is a more quiet bird. They have only had him for a week and a half. His family was an elderly couple that had to move into assisted living and they couldn't care for him. So now they are trying to get him the right home. They are even giving books on how to care for cockatiels with the birdie.

Are they picky eaters? How easy is it to switch them to a pellet diet? Should they have some seed with the pellet diet? Of course, they should have fruits and veggies available daily.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels are actually granivores. So yes, I think they need to have seed in their diet. Opinions differ but I actually fed about 50% seed, 10% pellets and the rest vegetables and grains. They tend not to eat fruit at all. So I suggest focusing on vegetables. It can take awhile to get them to eat vegetables if they never had them but like most birds, they like to eat what you eat, LOL, so that's a way to entice them. My tiel also loved rice.

Jenw12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer
I don't know what diet he is on at the moment, but he will come with some food.

I have Roudybush pellets designed for Budgies and Cockatiels. I also have Volkman seed mix for my budgies. I will see the situation and go from there about getting another seed mix for my Tiel.

What are some of your favorite seed mix brands?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Any of the Goldenfeast bird foods have very nutritious ingredients. Check out Goldenfeast Direct. There is one for cockatiel. Personally I no longer feed Roudybush because it has so much corn.