• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Michael

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
This past Thursday my husband and I adopted a 6 year old Siberian Husky. Michael is settling in nicely. He is a bit (read a lot) stubborn. But very friendly. My husband and I have out work cutout for us, as far as training. He has apparently been allowed to get away with naughty behaviors. It is going to take a lot of gentle patience and consistency. He knows some basic commands but only does them when he feels like it, unless you make him do it. So we are starting at the beginning with sit, down, stay, and heel.
Here is a picture of him in an Apollo's closet collar. I bought this at a sidewalk sale a while ago and hadn't used it yet. @Ribbit21
20170731_092146.jpg

Enjoying his Kong squeeky ball.
20170728_171416.jpg

His mug shot from the Humane Society.
downloadfile.jpg

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Very handsome pup, indeed! You didn't really want an easy dog, did you?

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I am so happy you adopted him. Stubborn dogs, especially ones that gorgeous, are too often stuck in the revolving door of the humane society as people take them on who don't understand them and are not willing to put in the work.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My last dog I owned was a Doberman,,got her at the humane society in Ohio,,many ,many years ago. Didn't want a girl,,,she was in a cage with her brother. I reached in for him, she growled at me...choose her instead,,,best dog I ever had.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I am so happy you adopted him. Stubborn dogs, especially ones that gorgeous, are too often stuck in the revolving door of the humane society as people take them on who don't understand them and are not willing to put in the work.
Yes. He has had 5 homes (including the Humane Society and us) in the last 2-3 months. We don't know if the 1st of those had him for most of his 6 years or if there were other homes as well. The Humane Society was being very careful who adopted him. There had been 15 + people/families that expressed interest in him. But they wouldn't even let them meet him until those people did research on Siberian Huskies and could come back and say they were still interested. They were so happy he was going to a home that had experience with Huskies, and knew what to expect behavior wise, temperament, stubbornness, need for exercise, and had the patience and experience to help him become a good doggie citizen.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
5 homes...sad. Hope yours will be his forever home.
He's very handsome. Congrats.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
He is with us to stay unless he suddenly becomes very aggressive. He has shown no signs of aggression. He is is just poorly trained and very stubborn.

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Such a handsome dude. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
My husband just messaged me and said he actually walked decently tonight. No flopping on his side and refusing to move. And only one attempt to writhe and squiggle out of his collar. The consistency with training is already starting to show results.

But then my husband could out stubborn a mule. And has a fair amount of skill with training.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Maybe when he decides your not walking him to chain him somewhere to get rid of him he'll come around.
Seems he;s been dumped & in part some of it is likely his fault & others for just not understanding or being the right home for the stubborn mule. Maybe he will just want to see whats at the end of the road////

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Aw, thank you for giving this guy a chance at a great life. I think he'll be very happy with you (I mean, more than he is now) once he understands he's safe and loved forever.
And maybe understands some rules too, that'll help. :laugh:
He's beautiful too, they did a good job on his picture at the shelter. He looks gentile but mischievous.

I'm so glad he ended up with you, the shelter did a good job screening. I bet they are sick of these dogs going to the wrong homes too though. Probably one of the reasons why he's been through so many? Huskies are beautiful so people want one.

I'm sure you know, but if he turns out to be too good at flipping out of a collar you could always try a harness. Of course as soon as you snap it on he'll think it's time to recreate the Iditarod and drag you down the road. :rolleyes:
Supposedly there are no pull harnesses but my father went through a couple when his German shepherd figured out how to throw his collar so he could go say hello to every dog he saw and not one stopped the typical pulling a dog will do in a harness.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I tried a no pull harness 0on our Siberian Wolfgang (rip) because he had a sore on his neck. It didn't stop the pulling at all.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
The little booger tried to remove his name tag. 1501616264142229579367.jpg
This was a 1 inch split ring. He did this in less than 24 hours. I bought a quick link and some loctite. We will try that. If that doesn't work, I will have to find me a welder.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Rascal, hopefully the quick link works.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:rofl:

Jail break!!!!

Hope he doesn;t learn how to unscrew his fencing..

I have another name for him...

Rascal!!!!

It goes look a little thin bit how did he do it? Are you sure that Apollos collar is strong enough for him. I bet the acrylic is strong but the pin on the buckle could break.

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I tried a no pull harness 0on our Siberian Wolfgang (rip) because he had a sore on his neck. It didn't stop the pulling at all.
Ha ha, yeah. My father (and myself since I've been pup-sitting him three days a week) tested several different "no-pull" harnesses on Axel while we worked on impulse control so he wouldn't slip a collar and none of them worked at all. He was like "No pull? HA. Challenge accepted."
Dogs. :rolleyes:

Michael sounds like he is going to be a lot of fun. :D