• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meyers vs Senegal

Birbs02

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren
i have lately been trying to find out what bird would be the best for me as my next bird and I can't seem to make a decision. I just keep on adding on new birds!

List of potential birds: sun conure, Indian ringneck, Senegal, Meyers, Cape, Red bellied, Jardine.

I am looking for a bird that is really interactive with you and creates a strong bond with there person. So an independent bird such as a ringneck are lower on my list.

So I would appreciate it if you guys could help me with making this decision. Could you tell me some differences in Senegal and Meyers parrots. I have done a lot of research, but would like to hear some personal stories about the breeds

Thanks

Last edited:

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Senegals! They’re great! You’ll love them! I cant tell you why though, it just is..

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Are all of those poicephalus species available where you live? Some are generally difficult to find, although I agree that pois are great!

I've never had a Senegal. I had a Meyer's, and she did bond strongly to me. She was not aggressive with other humans, and generally preferred men. She'd fly to some of my male friends.

She was very opinionated and jealous of my CAG. I've only ever had that one Meyer's, but she fits the stereotype you read of some Meyer's/pois being bird-aggressive.

She liked to perch on my shoulder, fly from room to room following me, and was content to snuggle and chill. Wasn't super needy, but would sometimes call loudly for attention.

Good luck!