• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meyer, Senegal, or....?

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
Oh I want a poi so badly!!!! I wish I was not stuck in this lease for a full year. Partly because I want a parrot and also because I'm transferring back to my old university for classes. My wallet will be crying from gas costs x.x

Still, there's a bird fair coming up on the 13th so hopefully I'll see some poicephalus parrots there.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
What is ment to be, will be! Its something i learned this last year :)

In the meantime, maybe visit a shelter? Lots of animals who need love.. There's always something to do untill such time you are ready :)

In the meantime, means more time to research about your future friend :) always helpfull!

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
Very true. Has anyone ever bought a bird from a bird show?

There's a couple coming up and I wasn't sure if I should take one home if he/she and I hit it off.

(found an apartment that allows birds)

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Very true. Has anyone ever bought a bird from a bird show?

There's a couple coming up and I wasn't sure if I should take one home if he/she and I hit it off.

(found an apartment that allows birds)
I wouldn't. Way too paranoid about what people and birds might be bringing in. I've seen a study where the pen for a raffle was swabbed and tested positive for virus' so that doesn't leave me feeling like they are very safe even if the birds were tested beforehand and they aren't.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I said I would never buy any birds at any bird expo but did buy 3 birds (not at the same time :): a cockatiel who I only had for about 4 years, a maroon-bellied conure who lived for 16 years and my Bare-eyed who is now 23 years old. Since I had other birds when I purchased them I did put them in quarantine and also had them thoroughly checked and tested by the vet. That being said I stopped going to the expos a few years because it was very disheartening to see that the birds looked worse every year and the people selling them didn't even know much about what they were selling.

Last edited:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Yes, thats the reason i not go to expo's as well, simply because i dont have the money to bring home all them birds :(

On the other hand, these birds can't help the situation they're in! If you find one that connects with you, why make it suffer any longer?? I would not be against "saving" an animal from the beasts, but thats a decision everyone has to make for their own :)

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
If I got a bird from a fair, would I just be setting myself up for tragedy due to poor health?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
No one ever considers the Ruppells...sigh...:sad9:

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
They are pretty but I can't pay that much for a bird ;-;

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
I got my Meyers at a bird fair, from a reputable breather. Took him to the vet right away. He was just fine, and never developed any problems in the 15 years that I had him.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
If you do your research well, i see no reason why not to buy one at a fair! Just make sure you know some background of the breeder, walk an extra round while you google him! Look st the bird, does he look healthy? Is his poop okay? That sorta thing! Then take him (or her ofcourse) to the vet asap!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
If I got a bird from a fair, would I just be setting myself up for tragedy due to poor health?
you very well could be. One option would be to take the bird straight to the vet for all the major viral testing and boarding them there until the results come back negative before bringing it home, especially if you plan to ever have other birds in your home. Beak and Feather can survive a very long time in the environment so if you brought home a bird that did end up having it, you would have a very hard time getting it out of places like air ducts, carpet, any fabrics, etc.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
here's a link to some info. just not worth the risk in my opinion. I've only ever been to one the month after I got Weeble and the birds were not required to have any testing at all to be there. some were not in the best shape and in dirty cages. you also have to consider who might be walking around touching stuff. what do their birds have that they might not know about and are they spreading it around?

Old World Aviaries: Bird marts

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
Ok that's what I was thinking. Thank you for the info!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Ok that's what I was thinking. Thank you for the info!
no problem! I am just a "better safe than sorry" kind of gal and super paranoid after working in a bird clinic, lol.