• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Met with the Rescue Lady.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A little OT but I am look through all Alberta kijiji, there sure are quite a few BGs.

Are you SURE you don't want one of those?
lol
:eek: Grey to BG!!:eek:

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
A little OT but I am look through all Alberta kijiji, there sure are quite a few BGs.

Are you SURE you don't want one of those?
lol
Its a shame there are so many B&G's needing homes but I deffinatly DO NOT want one of those, LOL

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh Kim, I'm so sorry you had such a negative experience. I agree with your hubby that she has an agenda on trying to find homes for cockatiels and quakers. It's a shame that she won't even give you the chance to foster a Grey and see how it works out. Don't give up hope of fostering/adopting a Grey. I'm sure there is one that will be a perfect match for you and your family.

pineview01

I too would advise you find another rescue that will let you foster. Than you would know if you and the bird get along.

I have six birds. All but one is OK with kids around. Only one will I let the kids touch and likes them.

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
I'm sorry it didn't work out with her Kim...my gosh I would've been so frustrated with her. But on the bright side, at least you got to see a Grey and do feel comfortable with them. :) And that's great that your daughter did so well! We have kids and dogs too but I also stay at home, and I really do think we're going to do just fine with Riley...I'm sure you'll do equally well with whichever bird you end up with, big or small. In fact probably better since you have more recent bird experience than I do lol! Definitely keep an eye out for rehomes, I know I saw quite a few parrots on the Vancouver CL recently when I was looking for cages. I know you'll come across the right one soon, whether it's the baby IRN or a rehome/rescue. :hug8:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Well, you all may be disappointed with me :o: but after the meeting today, and discussing our options at length with my husband, I think we have decided to stick with our original plan. My husband has admitted that although I was comfortable with the Grey today, he was not, and he fears for our childrens safety due to my lack of experience. The woman from the rescue seemed to feel the same way. :( I have to respect my husbands feelings, regardless of the fact that I think it could work for the right bird.

Anyhow, I think we'll get our little IRN that we originally planned on, and a year or so from now when we will be back on Vancouver Island (Instead of Calgary) and have more space and experience, I will re-evaluate the Grey situation. I would still really love to rehome or rescue a beautiful Grey, but will wait until my family is in agreeance. My hubby said he had no idea how he felt until he saw the bird next to my daughter, and was slightly intimidated by the size.
I want to make sure that I dont bring an animal into the home that my husband doesnt feel comfortable with.

That said, I do really appreciate everyones support and encouragement through all of this sillyness. I hope to one day be amongst the Grey owners, but not today.:sad1:

On the upside, my baby IRN photos are SWEET!!! Im actually really impressed with his cuteness!

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Awwww, what a cutie your baby is. Good luck with your IRN. How exciting. And no, I don't believe anyone will be disappointed with your decision. You have to do what is best for you and your family. Wishing you the best.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
It is still good news, you are getting that IRN and they are ADORABLE!!!! I think they are so cute and I would enjoy one myself.

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Awww he's so cute, love the new pics! :D So it's a he? And green?? I need to check the IRN forum don't I lol. Congrats on the baby. ;)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Well, you all may be disappointed with me :o: but after the meeting today, and discussing our options at length with my husband, I think we have decided to stick with our original plan. My husband has admitted that although I was comfortable with the Grey today, he was not, and he fears for our childrens safety due to my lack of experience. The woman from the rescue seemed to feel the same way. :( I have to respect my husbands feelings, regardless of the fact that I think it could work for the right bird.

Anyhow, I think we'll get our little IRN that we originally planned on, and a year or so from now when we will be back on Vancouver Island (Instead of Calgary) and have more space and experience, I will re-evaluate the Grey situation. I would still really love to rehome or rescue a beautiful Grey, but will wait until my family is in agreeance. My hubby said he had no idea how he felt until he saw the bird next to my daughter, and was slightly intimidated by the size.
I want to make sure that I dont bring an animal into the home that my husband doesnt feel comfortable with.

That said, I do really appreciate everyones support and encouragement through all of this sillyness. I hope to one day be amongst the Grey owners, but not today.:sad1:

On the upside, my baby IRN photos are SWEET!!! Im actually really impressed with his cuteness!
I LOVE this idea!!!!! I think it's a great plan. And, look how cute your baby is:heart:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I know you've decided on the IRN, which is adorable BTW.
But I also wanted to say that male Ekkies are known for doing well with kids and they have similar personalities to greys. They do require a specialized diet however.

myakando

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmen
I'm sooooo sorry to hear that things didn't go as expected. That's a real drag :(

Don't feel bad. We don't have any kids and I've been told that a Grey wouldn't do well at our place either becasue we have other birds. I don't know how true that really is but two different people have told me that. They say that because we have two 'toos and two macaws, a Grey is a bad idea becasue they don't do well living in a more active household :confused:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Congratulations on your faby! soooooo cute :)

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Congrats on your new baby! He or she is absolutely adorable!!

I am so sorry you had such a bad experience with that rescue. I have come across people that have the "children prejudice". It really makes me angry that some people out there assume that all children are the same..bad. I have 5 children. The oldest is 14 and the youngest is 4. They have all been raised with all different kids of animals. Currently, I have dogs, a cat and all the birds. One of which is a Grey! I rehomed her a couple years ago and she does wonderfully here! I am a stay at home mom and I homeschool all 5 of my kids. My home is very "lively"! LOL She really thrives on all the activity and noise! I consider her my little helper because she corrects all the children by name and yells at the puppy! LOL She doesn't pluck or show any other signs of stress at all. So, don't let that lady get you down!

I understand your decision about holding off on the Grey for now. If, in the future, you ever revisit this idea, don't let that one person's attitude turn you off!

Congrats again on your new baby!

sewing4eight

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julie
Congrats on your new baby! He or she is absolutely adorable!!

I am so sorry you had such a bad experience with that rescue. I have come across people that have the "children prejudice". It really makes me angry that some people out there assume that all children are the same..bad. I have 5 children. The oldest is 14 and the youngest is 4. They have all been raised with all different kids of animals. Currently, I have dogs, a cat and all the birds. One of which is a Grey! I rehomed her a couple years ago and she does wonderfully here! I am a stay at home mom and I homeschool all 5 of my kids. My home is very "lively"! LOL She really thrives on all the activity and noise! I consider her my little helper because she corrects all the children by name and yells at the puppy! LOL She doesn't pluck or show any other signs of stress at all. So, don't let that lady get you down!

I understand your decision about holding off on the Grey for now. If, in the future, you ever revisit this idea, don't let that one person's attitude turn you off!

Congrats again on your new baby!

I absolutely agree with Quiverfull! Especially since our home situations are almost identical! We have 6 kids- ages 5 and up, and also homeschool. We have a Grey- and now also a U2.

Charlie (our TAG) does fine with our kids and other pets. We did buy him as a baby, though......which may be something your family could take into consideration at a later date.
I am sorry about your experience, and hope that it doesn't discourage you from adopting in the future. Maybe you could volunteer somewhere to gain some experience so your hubby might be more comfortable with the idea of a larger bird. It's also a great way to see what particular species would really be a good fit with your lifestyle.
Your baby IRN is a cutie!!!! So happy for you there!:hug8::dance5:

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I'm sooooo sorry to hear that things didn't go as expected. That's a real drag :(

Don't feel bad. We don't have any kids and I've been told that a Grey wouldn't do well at our place either becasue we have other birds. I don't know how true that really is but two different people have told me that. They say that because we have two 'toos and two macaws, a Grey is a bad idea becasue they don't do well living in a more active household :confused:
That is nonsense... I have 10 birds and believe me they're anything but quiet and calm... Asher my TAG loves to watch and play with some of them.. Each bird is different. I also have an 11 year old and 3 dogs.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Wow, thank you guys for your overwhelming support in my decision.
Im just going to focus on my baby IRN and revisit the Grey idea down the road, WITHOUT DOUBT!

No Carlie, I dont actually know that its a boy yet, LOL I just REALLY want it to be so its wishful thinking shining through. For some reason the breeder has taken her sweet time sending the DNA in even though I paid for it. But I will let all of you know when I find out.

Allison, Yes, I actually asked that rescue woman if she some Ekkies we could foster, and she said though she did, she didnt think they would do well with Kids either :(
I dunno.....we will deffinatly be a multi bird home some day, and Ekkies are one of the bird I like :)

My girls are 4 and 2 now, and very compassionate animal lovers with respect and regard for all of our pets. Im sure they will do fine with WHATEVER bird we get.

Status
Not open for further replies.