• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Met my first Caique...and I.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
..Couldnt help but FALL IN LOVE!!!!

I have to say, while watching JoJo and Chickie vids I was amused, and felt an appreciation for them as parrots, as I do for all parrots. But I never really pictured myself bonding or taking special interest in thier kind.

A local Private Chain pet store recently added a HUGE finch aviary and Monkey Enclosure that everyone is talking about. So we decided to take the kids to see the monkeys. (We never buy anything there, but its quite the store!)

Anyhow, while there I noticed that as apposed to carrying the typical cockatiels, finch, quakers, etc that they always have, they had a Senegal and Caique! He was a black capped baby.....I started interacting with him through the glass....and quickly discovered that unlike most of thier other birds, he was SUPER tame and desperatly trying to play!
He was the cutest thing I had ever seen!!! I would put my finger on the glass and drag it, and he would tip over on his back and paw at it with his cute little talons! LOL I wanted so badly to handle him but the employee's wouldnt allow it as he had just arrived and "wasnt clipped". :(

Seriously, I would have walked out of there with that baby if my husband wasnt with me (and he wasnt $3k).....he was adorable, and I think I might have to look into them a little more.....having one of those little buggers would be a blast......aside from the awful bites.......but that sweet little face couldnt bite, could it? LOL

Anyhow, I got a small taste of Saroj's life :) And I LIKED it :)

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
$3k??!!! Whoa.

I'm sure he had as much fun as you did :)

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
3K???? WHAT??? Way overpriced!!

Yes, caique babies are like puppies! Super friendly, and very tactile! Then they grow up and become loud, easily bored, incredibly hormonal, potentially aggressive little snots. :lol:

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Kim, your story reminds me of the very first time we saw a pair of cakes, in a store in Scottsdale, Arizona years ago.
We watched them for 20-30 minutes. Wow, they were such busy little birds!
But so darn cute:)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:dance4::dance4::dance4: Kim!

But wait.....WHAT bites???:huh:
No bites here.
No hormonal behavior here.
Obstinate at times yes. Then you apply a firm I'm not taking any nonsense from you young man or young miss voice....:p
But no bites. :)
We are going to be 6 on the 15th (JoJo) and Chickie on June 2

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Yes, $3K - from the same store that sells mix breed puppies for $2500.00....Id like to complain, but it usually means only really commited people purchase thier pets. Obviously Id never be one of those people.....

Hahah, Saroj, of course your innocent little Cakes have never bitten! They have soo much to keep them busy! Maybe thats the key. A happy pet is an active pet, right?
I have to say, Im quite smitten....will have to mull that one over.....even Hubby, who isnt really a bird person was really enjoying this little guy, and asked lots of questions, etc....the video of the little black capped Cake playing with his reflection also kind of sold him, LOL

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Caiques make me think of little Sumo wrestlers. :D

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
Caiques are so adorable :heart:

$3K is an awful lot, but I'm not sure how bird prices compare in Canada. You can get a pair of some rarer birds (like Hawkheads) here for $3K USD.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Typically from breeder a Cake would go for 1500 to 2000 - this pet store, as many do, has a reputation for overcharging significantly.

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
Where did this whole "cake" thing come from, anyways? It's pronounced like Kai-eek

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Actually, the man at the store made a point of correcting me several times to say the same thing, LOL
Its a habit I picked up here. :o:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Matt you can thank Titanis and Merlie for independently coming up with the abbreviated 'cake'....:hehe:
i fought it for a long time but it sort of grows on you......fewer syllables too...isn't that the American way:D

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
Well, someone with a southern drawl would pronounce Cake/Caique the same way ;)

"How abawt suhm moah caique?"

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Matt you can thank Titanis and Merlie for independently coming up with the abbreviated 'cake'....:hehe:
i fought it for a long time but it sort of grows on you......fewer syllables too...isn't that the American way:D
Usually, here on the forum, I'll just call them "cakes" .. we abbreviate other species <B&G, RB2, M2, Ekkie .. etc.> so why not "cake" for Caique? When I am speaking about them in person, esp. to a non-bird person, I will say Caique.

I happen to like "Cake" .. lol .. and all the cute phrases we can come up with when referring to Caiques as "cakes".

sweetpeaches

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Susan
$3K is alot. I paid $1200 for Bailey about 3 1/2 years ago and that included shots, check-up, and a nice to go home bag. They say White Bellied are a bit pricier than Black headed? Anywho...Bailey is almost 4 and no "serious" bites from him either. No hormonal issues and still loves everyone in the family, but especially me. I just love this little guy. I truly forget sometimes that he is a bird, cause of the way he loves to roll around and play. It amazes me how he hangs on to my fingers...crabs the skin in between...but never too hard. Then in the next second I can give him a piece of rope and he shreds it. Tell me how he knows the difference? Amazing.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
$3K is alot. I paid $1200 for Bailey about 3 1/2 years ago and that included shots, check-up, and a nice to go home bag. They say White Bellied are a bit pricier than Black headed? Anywho...Bailey is almost 4 and no "serious" bites from him either. No hormonal issues and still loves everyone in the family, but especially me. I just love this little guy. I truly forget sometimes that he is a bird, cause of the way he loves to roll around and play. It amazes me how he hangs on to my fingers...crabs the skin in between...but never too hard. Then in the next second I can give him a piece of rope and he shreds it. Tell me how he knows the difference? Amazing.

Oh you give me such hope that my 8 month old sweet Kai will not change into an evil monster at 2.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes a cake here is horribly expensive ....this is Canada..prices seem to be way overinflated for birds....I would love to have one of the little devils too

lzver

Real Name
Laura
I've met a few Caique's and they are little balls of energy :)

There is a store/breeder not to far from me in Ontario Canada and they sell the BHC for $1000 and the WHC for $2000. So $3000 is way too much if you ask me.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
$3K for Caique, even in Canada is way, way overpriced. Then again, here in the US, if you go to a regular "pet store", esp. the chains, they're asking $600 - $700 for flipping Sun Conures!! From a breeder, Suns are usually $300 - $350.

If you really want a Caique .. go for it .. just find a responsible, reputable breeder and save yourself some $$$. Matter of fact, if you're up for the challenge, I have two I'll sneak across the border for ya!! I think they need a vacation! :lol:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Yes, $3k is alot, as I mentioned though this particular chain, and most pet stores here, often charge RIDICULOUSLY overpriced fee's for mixed breed cats/dogs, for hamsters, birds, etc. Just is what it is.....and yes, if I EVER got another bird, it most deff would NOT be from a pet store! LOL

Merlie, Im ready when you are! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.