• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Merlie Jesse and James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
The story I read the person at the counter was not allowing the animal on because of the crate and it just so happened that a guy that worked there was walking through, heard what was going on and told them to wait while he got the drill and fixed things and did use the metal screws.

Will they accept the zip ties??? I don't know. The Girl Scout in me says to take both with drill bites with for both sizes.

I also personally would be waiting at the desk until that plane took off. So many things can get screwed up. That is why if I was going to get that other birdie I would have been driving home with him and not on a plane. One of the other factors I would have to have been dealing with were the temps at that time. Sure, it is up to the pilot who has the last word if they will take an animal on board if the temps are expected to reach 85 or higher on either end, what would I have done if I had a seat paid for and they would not accept the bird? Did not like that scenario, heck no, so that is where I would have that bird in hand and in a van with me driving, that way no one else would mess me up. I did get messed up in the end, the guy did not sell the birdie. :(

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Matt ..

Do what you think is best. If they won't accept them, we'll just have to reschedule and I will reimburse you for any inconvenience. I appreciate everything you're doing for me and the Hahnsies .. and trust your judegement 100%.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
If they won't accept then bring them home to me and I will give back what gas money and anything else.. I will just wait till my son can bring me :)

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
This may be to late but it MUST be screws. They have to replace the plastic screws on the side. Hoping they make it!

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
The requirements say metal screws. That being said, when Amelia was shipped to me in March, it was in a crate with those plastic clamps, and just zip ties in the front corners.

It's actually difficult to find parrot sized crates that are equipped with anything other than those plastic clamps. (The large dog carriers do screw together, to withstand the weight of medium and large dogs.) Even the websites that advertize as selling specifically airline approved carriers have screw together carriers in only the large sizes, and even those come with plastic screws and you have to pay extra for a metal screw *kit*.

I finally found smaller size carriers at Farm & Fleet that come with plastic screws, so you just have to replace the plastic with metal bolts from the hardware store. Even the pet specialty stores just have the plastic clamp type carriers; to retrofit them according to published requirements, you would have to drill holes for bolts.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
When I shipped Bobby/Cian recently, the person helping me had never shipped a bird before. She asked me basic questions, like whether he had food or was sedated, but otherwise just drew a line all the way through the checklist without a second look. I don't think she would have noticed the screws. He might be able to get through just fine.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I remember correctly, one of Suncoast (ginger's) threads from the past.

Screws had to be used and she only found out once at the airport. Turns out they had the tools necessary and they helped her prepare the travel cage so that it would be compliant with protocol. No time to look for that thread right now, but do ask her about it. :)

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not going to stress .. it will all be fine. If they don't accept the carrier and can't make adjustments, we'll just reschedule for another day. I'm not going to freak out, nor make myself crazy .. Matt will make the right decisions, I have the utmost trust and faith in him.

lzver

Real Name
Laura
That's a great attitude to have Merlie! At the end of the day I think it all comes down to safety for the animals travelling. But I do hope everything goes smoothly and you get to see your new babies tonight!

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk 2

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
Metal hardware in place. We should be fine. Grapes and pineapple for moisture and some pellets and nut mix stuff as well. Also threw in a few foot toys.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Don't forget to pluck a few arm hairs to send along.

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt

The last video I'll take of them!! No more pictures or videos until their mommy posts them!

One of them was bathing in his water dish, but stopped when I whipped out the camera (of course!)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They look very sweet! It is great that you get to play with them!

Matt

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Update ..

Carrier accepted without issue. Awaiting take off at 5:24 Eastern time!!

Not long now!!

Matt, thank you so very much for everything .. now .. go out tonight and enjoy your BD celebration!! :dance5:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:dance4::dance4::dance4: Soooo Exciting!!! Can't wait to hear all about them when they get home!!

And Matt, that was very nice of you to help out, you deserve some :hug8::hug8: and :patrelax:

Status
Not open for further replies.