• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mera is 13 weeks and 2 days today :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Thought I would give you all a brief update:laughing12:

Mera has become an excellent flyer. She can hover, turn around in mid flight (and quite quickly too), she can be about to land and quickly turn around and fly somewhere else and perch. She can fly up from the ground now too :) And when I say hover, its the only thing that I can say that describes her when she is about to land and just seems to stay in that one spot before either landing or turning around quickly to land somewhere else. She isnt a pro at flying, but she has gotten so far in 2 weeks:dancing:

She is in a small 32x24 victorian top cage for right now. But she looks tiny in it. Still learning to perch while inside a cage. She is learning and doing well!! I dont want to place her in too big of a cage yet as she is just now learning to nibble and actually eat and still learning to balance on perches!:) However she still sleeps on the ground of the cage, or behind my pillow at night.

So is she really eating yet? No idea :) But She is crushing all the harrison pellets up, and taking teeny tiny bites. She is learning to eat safflower seed (although Im very careful and only put 1 table spoon of mixed seed in her pellet dish per day, there is no way that this little girl will become a seed junky!) and she is munching on all her veggies. Im not exactly sure if she is eating anything in her veggie dish, but lots of things are disappearing and I cant seem to find them on the bottom of the cage or on the ground around her cage. So is she really eating them? Hmmm...:chin:

Mera is making herself an enemy of the 'toos. She has tried to LAND on them. I know they are silky soft, but to land on them? Well I think Mera is becoming a DIVA, or perhaps the real diva in her is coming out, and she must have a soft perching every time she lands? The 'toos dont like this, so they are now wary of her, and do show signs of wanting to stick up for themselves, so I cannot leave Mera or my 'toos alone together. Especially Moby and Bokka, they are quite offended with this behavior. And it doesnt help that Mera seems to think its funny:rolleyes: But she is learning that her silky white door mats have a beak and will defend themselves. They havent fought or anything of the like, I would not allow it, but they have pecked her on the beak with their wings fully extended. Mera had no idea what that was about, so she started to beg from them.:confused: And sometimes Mera will act like the 'toos, and fully extend her wings and flap them. She has even tried to grab them by the beak and roll over. I had to intervene quite a number of times. Once Mera was on my bed, Bokka came down quickly at her all puffed and cresty raised, and she tried to grab him with her toes, and grabbed my hand instead (my hand was in the way to intervene) and she rolled over:huh: Mera is all play, she has no idea what the 'toos really think. She'll learn 'toos language eventually, and hopefully my 'toos will settle down and learn Mac language and not take offense to her huge wings flap in their face or trying to grab them with her toes:rolleyes:

(no worries to everyone, I want to add a disclaimer that I am ALWAYS right then and there, ready to intervene from any and all actions. I would never allow my birds to fight, or hurt eachother, but I do allow them to beak eachother and set boundaries with one another, otherwise they would try and fight and I could never trust them if they cannot set boundaries with one another, but again Im always right there when I allow this, and am ready to throw in my hand if necessary.)

Recent pics to come!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.