• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Meloxican

Apollo83

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Chris
Our green cheek was accidentally given .2ml of meloxican today instead of .02ml. The concentration is 1.5mg/ml. Does anyone know if this can be fatal or have bad side effects?

thank you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would definitely contact the prescribing vet. Is your bird eating or drinking normally? My worry is mostly about the affect on the kidneys.

Apollo83

Real Name
Chris
It happened about 2 1/2 hours ago. He is eating and drinking and acting normal. I’m most worried about his kidneys too. I wasn’t here when when my gf gave him the wrong dosage. She said he definitely get all .2 ml in his mouth so the dose was most likely 1-1.5 ml that he actually received. His droppings seem to be a little watery atm. Our prescribing vet and all other avian vets I can find are closed today.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would definitely contact the prescribing vet. Is your bird eating or drinking normally? My worry is mostly about the affect on the kidneys.
100% agree that's my worry as well. Hopefully you'll be able to get in contact with a vet. Can you call an emergency clinic and see what they say? Even if they don't specifically see avians the vet on hand would at least Hopefully have some advice.

Apollo83

Real Name
Chris
I tried calling non-avian vets but since they don’t see birds they won’t make any recommendations. This was only his second dose. They gave him his first one yesterday at the vet. I’m hoping since it has been in his system a whole lot that may help with the extra dosage he was given.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Monitor for diarrhea, vomiting and weakness. If there is another dose today or tomorrow do not give that.
I hope your bird will be OK. Also call around to some other vets and see if anyone can give you some advice.