• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meeting the foster Electus tomorrow...need some tips and such

Status
Not open for further replies.

quakingcanopy

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
So, a small independent rescue I've recently started talking with has a male VOS eclectus who needs a foster/adoption home. We're going too meet several birds, but so far he seems like the best fit. He has dietary needs I can handle. He also needs a quiet, slow person to let him come around since he is pretty hand shy.

What should I be looking for? My first visit there so clean cages and such, but of course most of the birds have behavior issues and have been previously kept on poor diets so won't be in fantastic feather - at least the ones who haven't been there long.

Questions I should ask about him, about the rescue? I assume - what they feed, what they recommend, etc. How old he is, how he got there, what his issues are? All I know so far is he is 1 and has been in 4 homes but is not very fear-aggressive or noisy. But very shy, unhandled, no manners yet. Anything else I should find out?

Also - if he comes to stay with us he will need a cage. I have been hunting through CL but just don't see anything in "good" condition for a decent price that hasn't already sold. There is a place around here that carries inexpensive HQ cages. The rescue owner recommends this one because it has the play top. But this one has quite a bit more interior space. They are both 32x23, only the inside height is different. Probably the best I can do on short notice since - if everything goes okay we can bring him home if we'd like and the only extra cages I have are IMO just too small for a big his size.

Would sure appreciate any help, tips, checklists, guidance. My first foster and my first eclectus, pretty anxious.

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Also...can anyone help me track down a cage by the pictures and price? The guy selling it doesn't have a brand, size, anything! Ugh... not sure how hard it is to measure something if you're trying to sell it :|

Here's the ad: LIKE NEW BIRD CAGE

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Ohh! :hug8: How exciting! I'm too new to parrot ownership to be able to give you any good advice, but I will follow to see what others say, I can always learn from them :D

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Ask if he has been vet checked, as well as been tested for avian diseases and such. I don’t have an Ekkie so can’t help with cage sizes and etc. Good luck.

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
What do you recommend I make sure he has been checked against? What are the most common things to check for?

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
That cage looks a lot like Howard's old cage. He did play on the top of it but now that he has the big cage (4x4x2) doesn't seem to miss the play top.

Ekkies tend to freeze when nervous or frightened so don't allow that behavior to put you off. I'd ask about diet and if he has been open to trying new foods. Does he play? What toys does he like? Have they noticed any toe tapping or wing flipping? (If so it could be diet related.)

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Thanks Erika - that isn't big enough IMO so I will pass on that one I guess.

Carmie - I totally forgot about the toe tapping and wing flapping!! I wrote that down though, thank you very much. The gal that runs this place teaches bird nutrition classes and it was very very important to her she find a home with a good background in nutrition and a good healthy diet regime for the ekkie - understandably. So I assume she is feeling him properly, but will make sure!

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Not sure if ya'll have seen this site but the operator suggested I read the articles here and so far really like it so wanted to share! LandofVOS

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
That is indeed a great site! If you check the stickies at the beginning of eclectus alley, you might find even more resources that you'll like :D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avian Web suggests the following:

1)
Fecal Parasite Check and examination of droppings
2) Fecal and Choanal Gram Stains
3) Chlamydia Testing
4) Polyoma Virus Testing
5) Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease Testing
6) Complete Blood Count

:)

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
congrats on meeting the foster ekkie!:D I think everything everyone already suggested is awesome advice! I can't think of any more good advice now, but keep us posted on how the visit goes. :)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck,I hope you two click :)

evsrin

The cages you posted in the beginning, they are the exact same interior size as my GCC and Sun Conure have and I really can't imagine keeping an Ekkie in one that small. Some days I feel bad my conures are in them, it really isn't much room. Just wanted to mention that for size reference, especially one who is not currently tame to be coming out getting lots of time away from the cage. I would be so scared he would pluck and scream if he already hasn't started that, new environment, people, and in a small cage to boot.

If he starts screaming, which Ekkies can do, is that going to induce stress for you and the rest of your birds? Good luck.

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Erin - that's interesting about the cages. I have the larger one for Grapefruit and it's a great size for her, of course she is a little smaller then an Ekkie. But then again I do have it open all day - his will be too when he adjusts here. At any rate, I would imagine it being large enough for a Sun but then again it's pretty tough to compete with the great wide open they would have had were they born wild!

We can handle the screaming if need be. And we'll have the rescue to help if it becomes something we cannot help him overcome! Thank you for a great question to consider :highfive:

evsrin

Erin - that's interesting about the cages. I have the larger one for Grapefruit and it's a great size for her, of course she is a little smaller then an Ekkie. But then again I do have it open all day - his will be too when he adjusts here. At any rate, I would imagine it being large enough for a Sun but then again it's pretty tough to compete with the great wide open they would have had were they born wild!

We can handle the screaming if need be. And we'll have the rescue to help if it becomes something we cannot help him overcome! Thank you for a great question to consider :highfive:
Did the rescue give you the full story on why he was surrendered? I was given a bird once from a rescue and not told the truth, turned out he really despised, okay hated, WOMEN.:eek: It didn't go well and I took him back after 3 months of my home being miserable and turned upside down. He was just a little Green Cheek too!:hehe:

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Well, the place is ran mostly by 1 woman. It's her home and she devotes a good amount of space to incoming birds, but only takes 5 or 6 at once because she knows her limitations - smart lady!!

She has told me some info about him, but really wants to sit down today and tell me everything she knows and really show me his behaviour, his likes and dislikes, etc. She use to work for a big rescue in my area and she left because she felt like that would just do whatever they had to too get birds into homes - tell them whatever they needed to hear. But then wouldn't take the birds back when it didn't work out which it often didn't because the birds were seldom what the new owners were expecting. She quit and decided to do what she could on her own scale and penny. So, she is diligent about giving ALL the facts, and I really respect that. I think it sets all foster and adoptive homes up for better success as well as the birds!

Have to go have a shower and get ready!! Will post pics and more into when I get home!!

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
If he really is a Vos he will need a much larger cage than the ones you mentioned. I would not buy anything smaller than 40x30. I wonder how a one year old bird could have already been in 4 homes. If the rescue owner knows this much about him factually, I think she should be able to give his complete history, because it isn't very long!

A one year old bird is still very much a juvenile and should have no trouble adjusting to (yet another) new home.

I hope he's flighted.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Since this little guy is "pretty hand shy" it is even more important to get the biggest cage you have room for since he will feel more secure and safe inside it. There should be room to flap his wings freely after all the perches, toys, etc are in there. Ekkies can be couch potatoes so you want to be able to give him plenty of foraging opportunities and climbing and playing space to keep him motivated. I would also be interested in knowing why he's been passed around so much in his short life. Can't wait to hear if it's a good match!

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Another thought about the cages is that once Howard went from the 32x24 cage that he came with into the 4x4x2 Cages By Design cage (that I found on CL) he started playing MUCH more in his cage. In the smaller cage he mostly just sat there. Since hubby was a full time student I thought it was acceptable because Howard spent most of his time out. Now hubby is working full time (thanks be to God!) and I am really grateful that he has the big cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.