• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Pickle!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

linus69

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Paul
I love a Story that has a "Happy Ending", congratulations and much happiness. You have been given an Encyclopedia full of great Caique advice already by a lot of knowledgeable and caring people. So the only thing I have to add is maybe the place where you got him is not the best place to go back to for grooming/trimming and or advice of any kind.
If they were into Bird Grooming he wouldn`t need this attention, it would have been done as part of his upkeep, and the fact that they were feeding him a SEED diet tells me they don`t know "Beans" about Caiques or their care and hopefully they will discontinue selling them. Also remember you can`t be mean or nasty to him, not even once, they have a memory like a Sicilian Mobster and never forget.
Certain colors, items you are wearing, sunglasses,hats, jewelry,attitude,your mood,how fast your hand approaches,etc. are all things that can be upsetting in their world, so learning his Rules is the first order of the day. Grapes and most fruits are great Bribes, and of course fruit and veggies should be part of his daily diet along with his pellets.
I personally don`t advise seeds at all, I will give some shelled walnuts as a treat occasionally, and get all the Caique safe bird toys you can afford, these are very busy birds on a mission, mostly to have fun...:heart:

Last edited:

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
Also remember you can`t be mean or nasty to him, not even once, they have a memory like a Sicilian Mobster and never forget.

:coffeescreen::rofl: i LOVE your terminology!! :rofl: it is just TOOO true! they DO! and are JUST AS VINDICTIVE as one too! :eek:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I'm so excited you were finally able to get Pickle!! Congratulations!!! :cheer:

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have to recommend I got a woody toys. My birds went straight for them. My caique especially has been hard at work shredding them. It makes me happy to see him using his beak like that, as their beaks can get long and sharp.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Congrats! Pickle is a cutie and sounds like a sweetie! I hope he continues to be your dream bird. :)

Stephanie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Stephanie
I love a Story that has a "Happy Ending", congratulations and much happiness. You have been given an Encyclopedia full of great Caique advice already by a lot of knowledgeable and caring people. So the only thing I have to add is maybe the place where you got him is not the best place to go back to for grooming/trimming and or advice of any kind.
If they were into Bird Grooming he wouldn`t need this attention, it would have been done as part of his upkeep, and the fact that they were feeding him a SEED diet tells me they don`t know "Beans" about Caiques or their care and hopefully they will discontinue selling them. Also remember you can`t be mean or nasty to him, not even once, they have a memory like a Sicilian Mobster and never forget.
Certain colors, items you are wearing, sunglasses,hats, jewelry,attitude,your mood,how fast your hand approaches,etc. are all things that can be upsetting in their world, so learning his Rules is the first order of the day. Grapes and most fruits are great Bribes, and of course fruit and veggies should be part of his daily diet along with his pellets.
I personally don`t advise seeds at all, I will give some shelled walnuts as a treat occasionally, and get all the Caique safe bird toys you can afford, these are very busy birds on a mission, mostly to have fun...:heart:
Thanks for the info!! Also, I'm not sure if his beak and nails are long, I didn't realize caiques had naturally longer beaks and nails. I probably just wasn't used to seeing them that long, but apparently it's normal. I agree on the seed diet though. I have always fed my birds pellets and I think it's way more balanced than a seed diet. Plus, seed diets don't have much nutrition. Pickle definitely doesn't like Harrison's, I bought a whole bag and I'm trying to transition him onto it but he won't eat it! I want to try the Zupreem fruit though, my birds have always eaten that. It probably tastes better haha :).

I have to recommend I got a woody toys. My birds went straight for them. My caique especially has been hard at work shredding them. It makes me happy to see him using his beak like that, as their beaks can get long and sharp.
Good advice! I just bought him a big boing for a PVC playgym my boyfriend and I built, so I'll be sure to fill it with lots of wood toys :D.

Congrats! Pickle is a cutie and sounds like a sweetie! I hope he continues to be your dream bird. :)
Thank you!! I really hope he continues to be my dream bird too. So far so good, he is so sweet and funny! And he definitely tells me what he wants haha!

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
Going to be my next bird these little creatures are so adorable

Status
Not open for further replies.