• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Penguin. Quaker advice needed... like... NOW.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Congrats on your new addition - Penguin is very cute. :)

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
A warm welcome to Penguin! :)

And congratulations on becoming a new Quaker parront! I always recommend to anyone new to Quakers to read a good book about them. Mattie Sue Athan's Guide to the Quaker Parrot is a fine choice-- full of information and good advice.

penguin

Avenue Veteran
I feel like everyone's talking about me! :lol: Felicitaciones! He is beautiful. I love quaker wings. The quaker I knew loved baths in the sink and wooden stir sticks that I would take from the coffee shop.

Momto3boys

Real Name
Brandy
Oh you`re going to LOVE being owned by a quaker. AMAZING, comical little birds. My very first bird was a quaker named Keedis :heart::heart::heart:

Penguin is such a cutie :heart::heart:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awwwww he is adorable..congratulations!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Sooo I wake up at 5:45 a.m. this morning to go potty and it strikes me - duh! - of course a Quaker would like oatmeal because (drum roll) they're Quaker oats!!! Parampam! But seriously folks I just flew in from NJ and boy are my arms tired ... (no I'm not quitting my day job).

And, zuzanqa, you should check out this ballad of the brooklyn parrots - Bing Videos. It's about a flock of wild Quakers which live in Brooklyn, NY. There's also a flock here in Chicago, I believe in Hyde Park. :heart::heart:

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
Thanks everyone! He is an amazing bird.
He is afraid of nothing. When something startles himhe flies to my head. He already learned biting is a no no.
He is an excellent eater: so far he has enjoyed whatever i am eating, peach, apple and sweet potato.

A quaker is an entirely different ballgame!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Kiwi was very adventurous when it came to food - if I ate some she would try it too. They are not afraid of anything, after all, if they are 2 m tall and have a wing span of 2 m, who should they be afraid of??? Attitude probably makes them twice the size I quoted so sometimes as a Quaker parront one has to watch out for our "little lion" Quakers. You can start teaching Penguin to do "tickle-tickle" by saying it and then gently sliding your fingertip under one wing and then the other. You can also teach Penguin to lie on his back in your hand - this isn't a "normal" or "safe" position for a bird but I've found that you can do this, ask you baby to let go (of your fingers) and then count to 3 showing your fingers as you count. Then Penguin will know that the "lie down" will only last for a 3 count. Not all of it at once, but a little at a time. Being trusted by a Quaker is very much like a gift from God (and I don't mean to offend) . :hug8::hug8: Enjoy your little one while he is "little", he will have his opinion known in the future.

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
The budgies are jealous! Chit is starts screeching when he hears me talking to Penguin!

So cute.

He is defending his territory I guess.

I have been careful not to react when Penguin screams or contact calls.
So, fruits and veggies. Check. Biting. Hopefully under control... What an adventure! :dance4:

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Congrats on the new baby, he is definitely over a month, they normally fledge at around 6-7 weeks old so my bet would be around 2months old.

quakers are fantastic little birds, make sure he is on a good diet with pellets and plenty of fresh foods, sprouts etc... Not too much seed, or if he is eating the pellets a fresh foods well you can cut it out altogether or just offer as a treat.