• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Lilah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Well I started out looking for a bunny, then maybe a Guinea Pig until someone mentioned a Chinchilla! After reading up on them I realized they were more suited for my lifestyle and what I was looking for.

Lilah is 3 years old and her owner went away to college last year so she has not been getting the attention she needs. She is super sweet and likes to be pet and you can even hold her. She has sort of a cleft pallet from being bitten by another Chinchilla when she was a baby but that does not seem to stop her!
I love her so much already!! She sleeps during the day so it does not take away from the birds time:)

Here is my new baby

fids_P5210099.jpg fids_P5210110.jpg

CosmoKramer

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zach
I love her color :D Ive always said if I ever got a small critter again it would be a chincilla.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Awe, she is perfect! Is she still able to chew wood ok? Make sure to give her lots of wood and hay and she will be very happy!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Matt

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Awe, she is perfect! Is she still able to chew wood ok? Make sure to give her lots of wood and hay and she will be very happy!
Thank you! She sure is cute!
Well she only came with one little toy in her cage:( But the wood was being chewed and her teeth are not overgrown so I would say yes. You can see her mouth better in the pics below.

I wanted to weigh her to make sure she is eating ok but how in the world do you weigh a Chinchilla? they don't stay still! LOL

They gave me Orchard Hay for though and said that is what she likes. I thought they needed Timothy or Alfalfa hay? They did have her on Mizuri Chinchilla Pellets though which I read was a good brand.

fids_P5210114.jpg fids_P5210117.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how incredibly cute!!!!

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
They gave me Orchard Hay for though and said that is what she likes. I thought they needed Timothy or Alfalfa hay? They did have her on Mizuri Chinchilla Pellets though which I read was a good brand.
About hay: Alfalfa is higher in protein, fat, calcium, etc. So it is best used for a treat, for growing babies, ill animals, elderly, etc. The average healthy animal doesn't need that much protein or fat! Orchard grass is very similiar in content to timothy hay and can be fed with or instead of (many people have timothy hay allergies, so orchard grass can be a good substitute for them). You can also find oat hay, which is similiar in protein to timothy hay but a little higher fat if I am remembering correctly. So I feed it mostly as a treat. So you can stick to the orchard grass or try timothy. Just make sure to offer unlimited hay! Their wierd little digestive tracks are designed for massive amounts of fiber and should always be digesting food. If their system shuts down for any reason (stomach is too empty or not enough fiber so they get backed up, they go into something called Stasis, which is emergency room serious. So, lots and lots of hay.

She is SOOOO cute! :heart:

Oh, and Mazuri foods are alright, but I much prefer the zupreme or oxbow brands. They are much higher quality, less filler, etc!

Last edited:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Orchard hay is fine - I feed my chin some, but also timothy hay. Her pellets are probably alfalfa? Mine are (Oxbow).

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! She is absolutely adorable!! :wave:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Orchard hay is fine - I feed my chin some, but also timothy hay. Her pellets are probably alfalfa? Mine are (Oxbow).

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! She is absolutely adorable!! :wave:
Thank you!!
Yes her pellets are Alfalfa, Mizuri brand

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
You did it! She's gorgeous!!! I'm so jealous...I've been looking for a white one myself.

I did locate a 4 month old Beige female very close to my house. And there's a pair (Grey Female and Neutered White Male) in Colorado Springs that are 6-7 years old with a great cage. But it's an hour and a half away. With gas prices...I just don't know if I want to drive that far. lol And I emalied a breeder this evening that's not too far, hoping to hear back from him tomorrow to see what he has available.

Any stories to tell yet? have you watched her take a dust bath yet? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.