• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mean spring sennie

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Well this is my first spring with an adult rescue sennie. Holden has taken to me since I befriended him at the aviary when I went to get Tucker my red belly. It's been almost around 8 months since Holden has been home and he has come so far. But good grief. Major steps back tonight. I came in and was changing food and water before bed. Just my pois were out on the get a grip net. My sennie was way up in the corner getting sleepy. I checked above me cuz Tucker sometimes grabs my hair when I'm under him. No bird was close. All of a sudden the Senegal flew at me to attack me and went for my eye. Luckily I ducked my head threw the water and closed my eye. I have a small laceration on my upper eyelid. My actual eye is burning but not terrible like it could have been. I wasn't engaged with them. I was singing the good night song I always do as I change the water etc. but I wasn't doing anything with either of them. Is this spring hormones? I know he's molting as this morning I felt a ton of new feathers on his head. He's been a little off but nothing like this at all. I'm sad about it. Sigh.....

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that you got dive bombed and bit. Can't tell you what caused him to do that. Hormones, mood, the molt????
He is a very handsome boy!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Do u need to have a doctor check your eye?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hard to say. I had a female Meyer's and have a female CAG, and both definitely got/get hormonal in the spring. But they handled it differently.

The Meyer's was aggressive and unhappy with me each spring. She would refuse to come out of her cage, and would bluff bite me.

The CAG would be moody but friendlier.

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thinking about it tho the last few days, he has been landing on the top of my head. He hasn't been mean or anything. I'm not sure if he was trying to do that when I was bent trying to replace the water and it surprised me. And I moved quick out of reflex which spooked him. He, on a normal unhormonal day will bite if there are quick movements

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
My Senegal does that too, at first i thought he wanted to sit on my head, untill he tried to bite me on the head :( no idea why though, i'll follow the thread with great interest :)

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
When they are tired, they are cranky. You need to give the little guy a reasonable bed time and just leave him be. My George is hormonal and moulting right now and he gets cranky when he is ready for bed. When a parrot is ready to sleep it is ready to SLEEP. Lol.