• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Martingdale Collars Warning! I nearly lost Izzy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

artgeek09

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
I'm so glad you posted this! I've been looking for a collar for Tank, and now know that Martingales are a definate no go. Tank's really lazy and doesn't really get active, but I can definitely see how it could get caught on something. So glad your girls are ok

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Okay, glad to hear they were playing first and then got freaked out and started fighting. That makes more sense!

I was wondering how you could handle the stress of having them together if they fought often!

Glad everyone is ok. I hope you're feeling better today, too. :hug8:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Mmm....Danita - when we used to go to the dog park, the best control for Fynn was letting him run in his harness (aka car Seatbelt dual use!). SO much easier to grab him and redirect his attention or direction. Would something like that work for busy days?

(harnesses for our strong pups seem rather useless for walking, but good for catching, redirecting, and car seat belts :) )
Sorry Crystal :o:
I was typing in a tizzy, I didn't mean to tell you to use/not use one. I know you have your dogs under control :coffeescreen:

JaJerzak

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jackie
Poor puppies! But you did good quick thinking and saved the 2 of them! Hope all 3 of you are well!

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
That is scary Danita. Im so glad that both Izzy and Ellie are ok.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 2

Sassyjaygrl

Real Name
Jessica
I am glad they are both OK, sorry it happened.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Oh!
The girls are back to them badselves :D :heart:

Izzy and the Mr. were racing to get a ball, Izzy slid right into Mr. and took him out :eek::eek::eek: he fell, landed on his elbow and thinks his elbow is chipped!!:huh:
EVery day it is something with these guys.
And who gets in trouble? ME:hehe:

seamonkeychar

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
We do no collars here for all 4 of our dogs. When my 13 year old chihuahua was a puppy, he had a reaction to a medication he was on, and his head/neck started to swell. His collar almost killed him, I think that it would have if we didn't catch it a few minutes after we gave him the meds. Collars are scary. :/

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
We do no collars here for all 4 of our dogs. When my 13 year old chihuahua was a puppy, he had a reaction to a medication he was on, and his head/neck started to swell. His collar almost killed him, I think that it would have if we didn't catch it a few minutes after we gave him the meds. Collars are scary. :/
God!!!
Wow!!!
:omg:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
No collars in the house at all, ever!
Danita just reading the beginning of this thread.:( that was going to be my first response. Our dogs dont wear collars in the house, ever. :( Thank God you were there and could do what you needed to do. IMO those collars look like they would be good for walking and that is it. :(

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Actually..our dogs dont wear collars period. :o: When we take them out, we use harnesses. I dont like anything around their necks.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
Gosh, I know this feeling well. My dogs ages ago did the same thing and my dogs now NEVER wear a collar at home. Collars go on when they leave the house and come off before they go back in the yard.

Glad you were home at the time as this can end very badly if no one is home to pull them apart.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Gosh, I know this feeling well. My dogs ages ago did the same thing and my dogs now NEVER wear a collar at home. Collars go on when they leave the house and come off before they go back in the yard.

Glad you were home at the time as this can end very badly if no one is home to pull them apart.
It is scarey!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
:omg: Danita - just seeing this :faint:

This happened several years ago with Taz and Suwani - it took two of us to get the collar unfastened. I only use the ones with a quick release now.

So glad they are ok :)

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
If we get a 2nd dog, I will keep it in mind that no collars in the house.

I know the place we take Jake for boarding take their collars off when they are in their enclosure. I'm glad now they do it.

When we take Jake for walks we use a harness and he does play with other dogs. Thinking now of taking his collar off while walking with the harness.

I'm glad both Izzy and Ellie are ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.