• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Male with brown cere

Light enix

Moving in
Real Name
Alicia Elmer
I noticed today that my parakeet has developed a brown cere. Mizu is definitely a male and hasn't changed with his personality, activeness, eating, and drinking. What can be wrong with him? He's about 8 or 9 months old

1000002599.jpg Most of the bottom where it's darker is normally blue

He posed for me to take that pic. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Light enix

Moving in
Real Name
Alicia Elmer
I noticed today that my parakeet has developed a brown cere. Mizu is definitely a male and hasn't changed with his personality, activeness, eating, and drinking. What can be wrong with him? He's about 8 or 9 months old

View attachment 443493 Most of the bottom where it's darker is normally blue

He is a little more aggressive. He use to give kisses to my hands and fingers, now he just wants to fight, bite them. He also has been running from my hand when he normally would hop on it

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are you sure he is a he?

Light enix

Moving in
Real Name
Alicia Elmer

View attachment 443493 Most of the bottom where it's darker is normally blue

He has been irritable today. Still plays, sings, dances, and everything else. He doesn't want to interact with me much. Instead of trying give kisses to my hand, he'd rather attack my fingers every time. He still wants my attention and still acknowledges when I stand up or come in the room, like "Hi mom." I don't have an avian and it's hard to get one.

Light enix

Moving in
Real Name
Alicia Elmer
Are you sure he is a he?
Yes. His cere was purple when I got him and turned blue as he got older. I've had other parakeets before, in which learned how to tell. He also does the whole mating singing and dancing.

Last edited:

Light enix

Moving in
Real Name
Alicia Elmer
Now to think about it. Think Mizu might be a female. Doesn't sing and dance so much, plus loves to screech and chirp really loud.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sounds like hormonal behavior. Keep an eye out on the male cere. More blue can mean a trip to vet needed.