• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male wanna mate with baby budgie

Nes

Moving in
So I have a tame budgie male. I wanted to buy him a friend. Iended up buying a babie budgie. Her cere has still the black stain. Breeder told me she canel eat herself. I thought she can also lesrn from my adult one. So I took her home. My adult budgie first it seemed that he fosters her. It seemed like accepting her like a babie. He gently fondle her feathers. Then he layed his feet on her back and I assume he would try to mate with her. I than separeted both.

So does maring hurt or harm the baby? Why would an adult mate with maybe 5 weeks old baby?if he hoes it is ok with nature aint?so maybe i should not intervene?i dont know what to do. How can a baby fledge doesnt she need adults to copy flying, eating, behaviour?

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Keep the birds separated until the chick is adult.

Once the chick rejects the male he will attack her. Put them in separate cages next to each other. Allow them time together during the day while they are out of cage with you so that you can intervene.

This chick is weaned? She will know how to fly when the time comes. Birds are super smart.

@Ripshod had the exact same experience with his budgies.

What happened to the six adult birds and the other chicks from the last clutch?

Last edited:

Nes

Moving in
thank you. I separete them. I sold the babies, because my neighbours made me problems. I sold the parents too. But I cant do without them. And bought one, now the nestling. But thats offtopic..I dont have to justify myself. I DONT BREED, just tried once!

back to topic...how does nature regulate this? or just take the parrents care of the youngsters so no adults try to mate? maybe my adult does not want to mate but just feed her? she begged for food as she saw him

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is the chick weaned?

If the adult was trying to feed her he would be in front of the chick regurgitating, not on her back.

Best just keep them apart until she is older. Like I said, you could let him see her a little while you are there out of the cage. But they need their own cages.