• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male or Female? I though I knew.. But now I am not sure.

Gemini Jones

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carle Marie Jones
From what I have learned, you can identify gender after the first full molt by their feathers and coloration, but also that behavior is important, too. My problem is that from what I've learned.. My bird has more female colors and patters, but behaves like a male. I feel like I'm getting things mixed up. What should I REALLY look for? I will probably send in for a DNA test, but I would also love to see if what is said here lines up with what I have learned, and if not, update my general knowledge on it.

Photos of Gem: Wuld you say male or female, and why? Also what behaviour does the male typically display vs female. I can't get a good video of behavior. My video quality isn't very great. Ignore me and my messy bathroom, the like it in there for some reason and I haven't had a chance to clean up! Please and Thank you!

Full side view:
20190214_112332.jpg
Under backside: 15501662852222618882078972241357.jpg Face & Chest: 15501659947334026962348895467204.jpg
Top View: 15501661589016287139334032592814.jpg

Attachments

Gemini Jones

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carle Marie Jones
Right now, Gem is strutting back and forth whistling the same tune over with her wings lifted up level with her back but not fanned out. Does it for about 30 minutes every time.

Also, loves to sing and blow kisses to self in the mirror. She's always singing or making some kinds of sounds. She's a very loud and noisy bird. She doesn't care about flying to much. Also pecks on the side of her cage. Not sure if any of these are more common in one gender vs the other, but this is what she does most.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How old is Gem? Has she fully matured yet? Immature 'tiels can be hard to sex one way or the other.

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Young male! He hasn't finished his molting yet.

This is a great picture! If you look at the tail feathers.... the left tail feather (furthest away from the camera) is yellow with stripes. The matching tail feather to that? The dark grey one closest to the camera! Which means that the yellow one will eventually fall out and be grey, too. The butt feathers? They are also turning more grey rather than yellow with stripes!

Sounds like he's doing heart wings too... but please get rid of the mirror. Not healthy for him mentally, and potentially even physically.

The Problem with Giving your Bird a Mirror | Feisty Feathers

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Coloring looks like a young male. Females usually don’t have that much yellow on their face unless they are pied with yellow spots on the body or lutino , full yellow.
The males with the usual coloring of wild cockatiels also lose their striped tail feathers , like already mentioned. Usually by the age of two to three they are all gone I’ve read?

Males are loud and love to show off with heart wings, whistling , mimicry, sometimes drumming cage bars , or like a wood pecker.

Females are typically more quiet and interested in head cuddles. My female tiel never whistles , she just chirps to tell me things like: where did u go I can’t see you? Come back! Let me out of the cage and hang out with u! And a lonely single chirp usually means : ok I have to go eat /sleep/drink, I may come back later.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I agree, it looks and sounds like you have a cute little boy in your hands!:heart:

Gemini Jones

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carle Marie Jones
So.. My friend has been birdsitting for me, as I'll be having my baby and day now and she knows how to care for them best while I am away. She also has Cockatiels (she was the one I got mine from.) The other day she informed me that her male bird, Bama, seemed to be trying to court my Gemini. Would a male attempt this with another male?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yes, male birds may seduce other males. It happens.