• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent male eckie biting at himself frantically

learnincurve

Walking the driveway
Real Name
helen
Zinc's in a lot of stuff around the home. Two main things are coins and galvanised metal. I would be checking what the cage is made out of, what he is being bathed in and your taps. If the zinc is flaking off on the inside of your tap and then going in his bath water then would that explain why he's scratching his skin?

edit: probably not remotely relevant but I have chlorine allergy, the damn stuff rips my skin to shreds and it's added to the water in the UK. I have to wash myself in mineral water after every bath to clear the residue off myself.

Last edited:

murphys girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
cathy
Waiting for yet another blood test result on the zinc after 5 days of chelation shots (twice a day, total 10 shots). What a nightmare giving that little angel a shot in the chest muscle. He seems to be better but he's still occasionally biting at himself so if the zinc level is still high the vet wants to do surgery (lavage) to remove the items in the gullet. Anyone have any experience with that one??

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
No experience with heavy metals in birds. I bet you could write a book about it. Hugs to you and your bird.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
No personal experience with lavaging the crop, but there is no cutting involved. I personally would do it, otherwise the foreign objects will continue to leech zinc and you bird may end up with permanent damage.

My Hank had his abdomen lavaged with Amphotericin B and that turned his Aspergillosis around. If your Dr. is good there should not be any detrimental results.

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I will kept you and your baby in my thoughts. You are doing a great job trying to help him.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hoping the best for your Eclectus and that the zinc levels have decreased!