• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent male eckie biting at himself frantically

murphys girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
cathy
He's nine years.... Always been healthy... Since yesterday he's biting frantically at his Chest and back and under wings...whimpering like pain. He's very upset..had stool and basic blood work done today at vet...vet is sure he's a plucker even tho he is in severe distress, has never done this before and no feathers are being pulled out..he's acting more like someone with itchy hives....vets gone for today but bringing him back at eight tomorrow morn poor baby is miserable...doesn't want to be held so I know he's not OK. AnY suggestions or advice appreciated.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
give him a shower it might help

murphys girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
cathy
Thank you... I did.. The vet suggested it. It helped somewhat for biting himself but he's still whimpering...do you think mites or fungus or something? I think corn chips I gave him was a terrible idea... That was Monday

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
corn chips have too much salt did you tell the vet about that it may be a food alergy

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Does he eat pellets? They can cause problems in eclectus parrots due to their longer digestive tract absorbing too much of the vitamins.

Matt

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The corn chips could be the problem.

When my Ekki would chew at himself I found that misting him several times a day really helped.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
How long have you had him? Do you think he's about to go through a molt?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It would probably be a good idea to take him back to the vet, pluck some feathers or do some skin scrapings and check those areas for infection. He may have a skin/feather follicle infection that isn't being picked up via blood work or gram stains.

Another possibility is allergies. A change of water or food could be a possibility.... maybe pesticides on fresh foods?

murphys girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
cathy
Thank you. He's at the vet now being watched and yes, they are doing a hair follicle and skin scraping as well as taking a sample from crop and bottom. I have pulled everything out of the room and "poop-offed" and power sprayed clean. Hoping for a good resolution this afternoon. He is only eating lettuce, celery, water.....and all organic and pre washed too. thanks again

murphys girl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
cathy
I suspect the cornchips but the bloodwork came back with normal sodium. A few minerals were low.....I'm sensing he wants me to mineral supplement him....I hate supplements for birds. Any thoughts?
I've had him 8 years since he was 4 mos. When he molts he gets a bald patch on top of his head which he is getting....It has always grown back perfectly tho. He never bit at himself like this though.
Vet is telling me he thinks it's behavioral. I won't rule it out except that it just started....nothing has changed around here and he's normally a happy and healthy guy. I'm not really buying that one.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can you give us a detailed description of what his diet is like???

Lettuce isn't exactly that "healthy" for birds, since some of it is more water than nutrition. Celery, although "good", can also be deadly.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Celery strings are very tough & fibrous & can impact the digestive system.

Odd for behavioral plucking to start so severely out of the blue. What ever it is I hope they discover & can remedy it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He is only eating lettuce, celery, water.....and all organic and pre washed too. thanks again

Surely that's not the only thing he's eating?

If your going to be an Ekkie owner you're going to need to become a pseudo nutrition expert. Simply because of how completed their diets are.

A sudden furious change in behaviour like that is a sure sign of allergy/infection.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am reading on the net about Eckies being allergic to avi-cakes and corn. Is this the first time you bird ate any corn product?