• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Male cockatiel (around 6 months old), left eye is half shut + odd behavior (please help)

ziahr

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi,
Please advice me on this.

I have a cockatiel, male, 6 months. This week I haven't been able to play with it much, due to exams, etc. It is not a very hostile bird, it calms after being petted a few times. It very rarely/ almost never sleeps on my hand or anyone's hand.
Right now, it sleep all day and eat, it doesn't leave the cage at all. I don't know how long its been like this.. there's no swelling or any purple colours or pink, and at the nose there is no sign of redness or swelling. It sleep with half its eye shut and facing upwards, (it burrows its head with the fully visible eye on the inner side). AND sleeps on my hand and doesn't seem to detect my movement if I place it down.

I have no idea what is happening, and I am ashamed of myself for not noticing earlier, what exactly is going on? If any questions please reply and I will try my best to answer asap.

here is a photo of the current situation...
1699530706093.png

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sounds like he is ill. Especially the eyes that you describe.

Get him to the vet as soon as you can so he can be examined and given medication accordingly.

In the meantime, keep him warm and calm. Try to see if you see him eating or drinking, jot the times down, take photos of fresh poops. And if he gets worse while you wait the appointment, look for an emergency vet that can see you sooner.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
You must get to avain veterinarian quickly. Even if this means a 2 hour drive or more to avain vet, most of us have to drive a couple of hours to reach our Avian vet. Birds in this state are very very sick . Agree 100% with Zara .

We can't diagnose from Internet, we aren't vets . So many health issues share the exact same symptoms. Only in person veterinarian exam will be able to determine and help, and prescribe medication.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!