• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

male budgies getting really aggressive over female

bloopitybo

Moving in
hiii so ive had budgies for around 5 years but ive never seen any of them get aggresive like this, so currently ive got xam (male, 5yrs old), nina (female, 2 years old), beep (male, 2 years old) and xam and nina's son bloop (male, 1 year old). Theyve got a cage but theyre always open and roaming around until its bedtime. they all got along pretty well but recently they had started getting into cupboards, drawers, under the couch and shredding paper or just hiding in places which im guessing was them looking for a nest? after asking my grandma for advice, she told me to place the pot in which bloop was born as they might be looking for a nest and i did. but around a week later xam and beep started getting really aggressive and fighting eachother over nina, they fall off perches, bite eachother and dont let go, it gets to the point that i need to intervene and seperate them but when its bedtime theyre all quiet in the cage but otherwise nina can barely eat and bloop is just quiet these days. even when i let them out the cage they all chase nina and she ends up coming to me for rescue. i give bloop and nina some out of cage time as they get along well and when xam and beep are in the cage alone they dont fight but they keep calling out for nina and screaming so i cant really seperate them. at this point nina bites both xam and beep since they keep trying to feed her or call her even when shes just chilling in the cage but its gotten really bad and xam has even lost few feathers cause of the fight between him and beep, what can help? ive tried reducing day light by putting them to bed early and removing the pot but it doesnt seem to work. bloop nina and xam have always loved roaming around the house and its sad i can't let them all out the cage together. beep isn't much of a human bird but he was always a sweet bird and actually bloops buddy, they played together, preened eachother and did everything together until beep started fighting over nina.

PamelaJo

Checking out the neighborhood
SEPARATE THEM!!!
If u don't poor Nina is going to stress out totally and it could kill her. Don't feel sorry for the boys. Let them call out. Ur the one that needs to be strong here. U may need to go to 3 cages. Don't allow mom and son to mate, come on, that's waiting for a disaster to happen.
Nina needs alone time if she is trying to lay eggs. But as stressed as she is and the males fighting over her, she can't.
Please SEPARATE them.

bloopitybo

Moving in
yeah i though of doing that, but if i talk about getting more cages my mom will just give them away, i tried putting the pot back in so nina could have a place to hide and they all stopped fighting for a few hours, bleep pecked xam only once and bloop keeps them away from nina. she stayed in the pot for most of the time. i was able to let them all out of the cage together without a fight. bloop mostly spends time with humans and stays in the cage just to eat or when anyone else is bothering nina, should i let him be and seperate if theres mating behaviour or still give the boys and nina seperate time in and out of the cage? xam is my first budgie and he has lost his guy buddy in the past so its sad to see him fighting and not being able to get along with nina well for the past few days, they used to be a really good pair and always played together while bleep and bloop played with eachother

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
When allowed the birds to breed and keep the chicks, you should have bought another cage then and there.

You definitely need two cages for these birds. From there, figure out who gets on the best and separate accordingly. If nina and her son have access to one another, then she can never be allowed to incubate future eggs, they will have to be removed incase they mate while you are not looking.

I think that you should talk to someone with larger budgie flocks and see what works best in terms of flock dynamics. It could be that bringing home another female could help the sitation, but it could also make it worse.
@Ripshod @Scorpi0 @Lori D Pert

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
They need to be separated. Budgies can and will get nasty, that includes killing each other. Find out who is Nina's mate (is it still Xam or now Bloop? I had a hard time following your post sorry), and split them that way but make sure the other two boys are getting along.
Maybe you'd be able to house them together again at some point but right now keeping them alive is what's important and that mean separating.
Keep the pot out of there, it's only going to make hormones worse. What is your cage set up like? Maybe they do need a way to get "away" from each other visually. Such as behind hanging toys, leaves etc.

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block
Luckily, I haven’t had much experience with my budgies fighting eachother. They are free to fly around the house during the day but still spend about 95% of the time in or on top of their cage. They do have a lot of toys to keep them busy and I will hang pieces of romaine lettuce in different parts of their cage for them to nibble on without having to fight over it. I don’t have anything in their cage that resembles a nest so it won’t encourage mating behaviors.
Anytime I see them about to start fighting, I will go over and give their cage a light smack to divert their attention away from eachother. That usually does the trick. Just a light tap….you dont want to bang on it and scare them.

bloopitybo

Moving in
When allowed the birds to breed and keep the chicks, you should have bought another cage then and there.

You definitely need two cages for these birds. From there, figure out who gets on the best and separate accordingly. If nina and her son have access to one another, then she can never be allowed to incubate future eggs, they will have to be removed incase they mate while you are not looking.

I think that you should talk to someone with larger budgie flocks and see what works best in terms of flock dynamics. It could be that bringing home another female could help the sitation, but it could also make it worse.
@Ripshod @Scorpi0 @Lori D Pert
my parents havent agreed on the two cages but ive started giving them time out of the cage separately and although the boys stay near the cage looking at nina for a bit, it seems to work
they fight less now but xam still gets a few pecks from bleep but i just step in and stop it or distract them

bloopitybo

Moving in
They need to be separated. Budgies can and will get nasty, that includes killing each other. Find out who is Nina's mate (is it still Xam or now Bloop? I had a hard time following your post sorry), and split them that way but make sure the other two boys are getting along.
Maybe you'd be able to house them together again at some point but right now keeping them alive is what's important and that mean separating.
Keep the pot out of there, it's only going to make hormones worse. What is your cage set up like? Maybe they do need a way to get "away" from each other visually. Such as behind hanging toys, leaves etc.
to be honest i cant figure out who ninas mate is, she plays with bloop and roams around with him but when the boys are locked in the cage while shes out, its xam she looks at. but once i let her in, xam starts tapping her beak aggressively so she just goes into the pot or bloop fights xam off and sits with her, she does allow xam inside the pot tho !!
heres a pic of xam and nina, you can see the bald spot bleep made on xams headim scared to get the pot out, the last time i did that is when they started fighting and now that its back theyve stopped fighting as much but yes i will try to get it out again.

Attachments

bloopitybo

Moving in
Luckily, I haven’t had much experience with my budgies fighting eachother. They are free to fly around the house during the day but still spend about 95% of the time in or on top of their cage. They do have a lot of toys to keep them busy and I will hang pieces of romaine lettuce in different parts of their cage for them to nibble on without having to fight over it. I don’t have anything in their cage that resembles a nest so it won’t encourage mating behaviors.
Anytime I see them about to start fighting, I will go over and give their cage a light smack to divert their attention away from eachother. That usually does the trick. Just a light tap….you dont want to bang on it and scare them.
omg I'll try getting them more toys to keep them busy and get the pot out too then

bloopitybo

Moving in
i
Yes, the pot has to go ASAP! :eek:
got the pot out and i removed nina from the cage too, let her roam around freely. after a while she went back to xam so i put just her and xam inside the cage, theyre getting along well !!
heres a glimpse of everyone going feral when she was out and then a pic of nina, and a pic of nina and xam !!

Attachments