• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Making my lovebird comfortable in his new home

SEMO

Moving in
Hello everyone!

Today I am adopting a peach faced lovebird and bringing him into my home. He has been with his owners for a year and a half and since he's going to be in a totally new environment I want to make sure he is as comfortable as possible. I am a novice bird owner so I am trying to do my research.

What sort of things can I do to make him feel safe? I am going out today to purchase him a few things, like a cozy hidey sack, cuttlefish bone, mineral block, toys, millet sprays and honey sticks, etc. He's a very social bird but all his surroundings will be new and he will be separated from his flock, so I don't want him to be overly stressed.

Thank you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on your new bird. Try to find out as much as possible from his former owners and keep everything the same until he adjusts to his new home. Same food, same type of water dishes, same bedtime, covered/uncovered cage, etc. As he becomes more comfortable in your home then you can start making whatever changes you would like to make. Try to take things at his pace. He may want out of cage time right away and cuddles or he may want to just chill in his cage until he settles in. Just try to follow his lead.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for adopting him! No happy hut, though - they’re deathtraps. Something made of leather or seagrass would be okay, though.