• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Make First Vet Trip Less Scary?

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Kamara is going to the vet for the first time ever on the 20th to get a checkup and some tests done to make sure everything is ok with her health wise after 15 years of poor diet and neglect from her previous home.
She's never been to the vet before and she is my first bird so I've never taken a bird to the vet before. What can I do for her to make the visit less scary?
She's going to be transported in a small travel cage and we'll be driving for about 30 minutes, should I bring treats for afterwards?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Going to the vet is one of those necessary evils. The bird is not going to like it and there's not really much you can do about it. Personally I insist on being in the room for any procedures. I will not let them take the bird away out of my sight.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I always brought a treat with me for after. And I think staying with your bird helps too. The first time I ever took my tiel to a vet they took him to a back room to trim his nails. It was very traumatic for him to be taken away from me. I changed vets and my new vet always let me stay with Sunny the whole time. I think it made it less stressful for him.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
you need to be calm, if you are upset then the bird is going to be upset also.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Stay calm, stay with them. They need to see you aren't abandoning them. Definitely bring a favorite treat for afterwards!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You also might want to cover part of the carrier while in the car (if it has an open type). I hope the vet visit goes well!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The important thing is for you to learn as much as you can at the vet visit. Ask questions and listen to the answers.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I cover the carrier (but leave them a peek hole on my side so they can watch me), talk or sing to them most of the ride, and definitely stay with them the whole time. I will speak soothingly to them as the vet does her thing, and if they want held after that (usually they do), then they get a few minutes of cuddles and reassurance while tucking under my chin. Oh yes, and millet in the carrier.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The important thing is for you to learn as much as you can at the vet visit. Ask questions and listen to the answers.
Fabulous advice. Watch with a very keen eye and learn as much as you can. That's how I learned.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Barbara Heidenreich has a DVD for training a bird for the veterinary exam.

Parrot Training DVDS | Good Bird Training DVDS

It helps if a bird is comfortable being toweled, standing on a perch to be weighed (or put into a plastic tub) and just over-all being examined. These are behaviors that *can* be trained, but on short notice, just try to keep things as calm as possible. As mentioned, try bringing a towel or blanket to cover the carrier. Take it inside with you in case the vets office is kind of crazy and hectic - you can cover the entire carrier so it's less visual disturbances.

If she doesn't like car rides, you can try providing fresh ginger and ginger tea up to two hours before the trip as well as during. Also, short car rides around the neighborhood to get her more comfortable with car trips.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
She went to the vet yesterday and everything went fine, she didn't mind the car ride at all but she was quite scared before the vet walked in and during the time we discussed about testing to find out the cause of feather plucking. After she got weighed and got two swabs done she was a lot calmer. She seemed upset with me when we got home but today I think she's already over it because she's started talking to me again like she usually does