• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Major cage aggression

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
My girl Skittles has been hormonal which seems to have resolved and now she's going through her first molt. She's not too bad unless she's on her cage. She used to come out of the cage and hang out but now she's very attached to her cage and very aggressive. She bites or bites at me if I try and feed her or change her water etc. Trying to clean her cage is stressful because she gets so upset. Anytime I try to get her to step up off the cage I get bitten. She actually got my face last night when I was changing her water. She's so fast! I can't come near her cage or she's mad. I know this is her instinct but I miss hanging with her and I feel like she's unhappy and stressed anytime I even try and feed her etc. I found a stick from outside that I am trying to get her to step up on and work with her. She freaks out and screams OW OW OW OH MY GAWD STOP IT! I decided to try one of her perches but she gets upset and screams the same thing. I'm hoping to get some good advice on what to do!

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Thank you Cat the Great. I appreciate that so very much. I feel bad for her and like im doing something wrong .
No problem. You are doing everything you can.:hug8:By asking here, you are saying you care about your relationship with your parrot and I applaud you for it. ;) Asking for help is the step in the right direction to fix this issue.:)

Jazzy*

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
yes quakers tend to defined their things such as cage and toys. When I first got my girl the first few months to a year I would say she was like that. Try moving things around in the cage such as toys and perches I did that at the start. Thankfully my girl was not that bad and she is bonded to me so I can do anything in her cage now and she plays with me when I clean her cage. Shes going to be 10 this year and now thankfully letting my mom handle her again with out trying to bite.

Don't give up I know it can be hard it times with them but it is worth it they are great parrots

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
yes quakers tend to defined their things such as cage and toys. When I first got my girl the first few months to a year I would say she was like that. Try moving things around in the cage such as toys and perches I did that at the start. Thankfully my girl was not that bad and she is bonded to me so I can do anything in her cage now and she plays with me when I clean her cage. Shes going to be 10 this year and now thankfully letting my mom handle her again with out trying to bite.

Don't give up I know it can be hard it times with them but it is worth it they are great parrots
Wow! What exactly did you do to get her to that point? Skittles is bonded with me as far as I can tell but there's something in the way. I just can't figure out what it is. I am working on cleaning her cage today without upsetting her. I'm trying to make it a fun experience for her so im telling her she's a good girl when she doesn't get upset and saying YAY as well. I just know if I try and get her to step up she will bite the crap out of me

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
No problem. You are doing everything you can.:hug8:By asking here, you are saying you care about your relationship with your parrot and I applaud you for it. ;) Asking for help is the step in the right direction to fix this issue.:)
Thank you so much for stating that! I love her so much ❤

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm pretty lucky that most of the time Blu is ok with me touching his cage but every once in a while he does get cage aggresive too. We are very bonded so he's not extremely aggressive. He lunges once in a while or flies to me to attack but I just scoop him off me as quickly as possible and back off and don't make wye contact when he's like that and he gets over it pretty quickly. The only time he's really mean is when he builds his nest on top of his cage. I just give him space and leave him alone when he's like that and change the subject by asking him if he wants to watch videos or look out the window, or I'll just start singing to him and then he forgets he's mad.

The only real advice I can give is when you need to change food or water in the cage is to make her go somewhere else before you do it. Even if you can get her to other side of the cage first, that may help.

Never make her step onto your hand or finger from the cage if she's showing aggression. Try and get her used to stepping onto a T stick. If you can do that you can place her onto a playstand or something before servicing her cage.

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I have 2 Quakers and both are cage aggressive. Simple fix was to only clean their cage when they are not around. It's pretty natural for some Quakers to want to defend their territory. They are communal birds that lives in large flocks and nest defending is pretty important. Stick training helps a lot. I will remove them from the cage and put them in a different room.

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
I tried to write a post with this pic of Skittles the biter but I don't think it showed up. I am not savy on this forum but she's being much nicer lately. I made some changes that she didn't like at first but it seems to really be helping!

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
She's so beautiful! I'm glad things are better right now!
Thank you she is super sweet today and just letting me love on her! She laid her little head against my hand when I was giving her scritches! She keeps holding her face up wanting me to scritch her which is something I havent experienced with her. She's loving it!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thank you she is super sweet today and just letting me love on her! She laid her little head against my hand when I was giving her scritches! She keeps holding her face up wanting me to scritch her which is something I havent experienced with her. She's loving it!
Awww, so sweet!

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
wow! she's super lime green color! :) love it! :)
Thank you so much ❤ She's pretty young and has been going through her first molt. She has the brightest blue flight feathers too. I hope she stays as bright as she is now. I know they change after molting

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
She’s beautiful! It’s great that she’s sweeter now. :)