• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mad with excitement....getting a Red Belly tomorrow! (longish story)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
The dimensions you mentioned are exactly the dimensions of my Red Bellied's cage, and I'm thinking about getting one larger for her, because she's so hyper! Like Natacha said, bar spacing is a really critical factor. For red Bellieds, it should be 3/4" at the very max, preferably 1/2". I'd say just see how busy your little guy is and how much out of cage time he gets, then go from there!

lukaspriest

Meeting neighbors
Excellent, I'm glad you guys brought the bar spacing issue to my attention, as that is something I may have ignorantly overlooked, much to my chagrin. That monster of a cage i posted a bit ago will probably be too much, but I have another lead on a cage that is more like the one I have now, only bigger.

hockeymomwood

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
Congratulations on your family addition. Please get a new cage ASAP. The minimum size for a poicephalus is 32x23. And that is the minimum. You could keep the current cage as a sleeping cage. Make an appointment with the avian vet soon. As far as leaving the bird alone, you need to play it by ear. Since the bird is already familiar with you, he may be ready to interact immediately.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Well..hmm not exactly, but close.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
First of all, congratulations!! What an exciting time for you two! I can't wait to see photos of your new lil' one.

Cage, you already know you need something bigger. No cage is ever too big, unless the bar spaces are inappropriate for bird size. The bigger home they can have - the better.

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
Congrats! :dance4: Another red belly boy on the forum, yay!! My Perry is in a 30 inch wide cage, with 3/4 inch bar spacing and it works great for him. The 18x18 cage that you already have will be fine temporarily for a baby, while you settle him in at your home, and shop for another.

I can't wait for pics! There is another recently adopted baby red belly on the avenue right now, as well! :D

KenDRAGON

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kendra
Congrats! i have to say i'm super jealous! I had every intention of getting a red belly when i was on a bird search, but they simple were not avaiable in my area at the time, and i ended up meeting my Pionus and fell in love, but i love most of the pois i've ever met and a red belly will almost deifnitely be my second bird when the time comes! POST PICTURES IMMEDIATELY SO I CAN GET MY RED BELLY FIX! i hope this forum and everyone on it will be as helpful for you as it was for me when i brought my Pia home :)

lukaspriest

Meeting neighbors
Ok, so we got him home, and so far he is doing great....the first perch he flew to was my shoulder...way fun. Anyhow, we have him in his cage now, and he is busy scurrying around exploring his new toys. Pictures soon! Thanks for all the replies!

jeroen234

Meeting neighbors
congrats
stunning bird those red belly's
and even harder to find here then a meyers
did you ask what food he/she was now on and bought some of it so that it can slowly get used to beter seed or pellets?

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
can't wait to meet him!!!!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Ok, so we got him home, and so far he is doing great....the first perch he flew to was my shoulder...way fun. Anyhow, we have him in his cage now, and he is busy scurrying around exploring his new toys. Pictures soon! Thanks for all the replies!
If he's anything like my guys, he'll really like wooden toys, with the wood not being too hard and on the thinner side :)

ArloDuncan

Real Name
Steve
Welcome to the Avenue and the Red Bellied club as well :) can't wait to see pics of him! And yes soft and thin wood toys is a must.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
HI and welcome to the Avenue.:)

lukaspriest

Meeting neighbors
Here's a picture as promised! So far he seems to be doing great, he seems to want to be out of his cage and hanging out with us. Absolutely sweetheart! The shop owner that hand raised him taught him to "kiss" so my wife has been getting lots of smooches.

S5001154.JPG

Attachments

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
He's adorable, congrats again! :)

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Aww what a cutie pie! :heart:

mama bird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Pauline
Welcome to the Avenue :D I loved your post I can feel your excitement! :dance5: Can't wait to see pictures of the FONZ :cool: Just saw the pictures he is adorable!

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
What a sweet baby! Welcome and I can only :sing:praises at researching before you brought your new baby home! Congratulations to you and your wife!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.