• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaws--Are they truly a "family bird" or do they choose one "person"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeesKnees

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lindsey Champine
So, as you may or may not know, I have a brand new baby Blue and Gold Macaw, my first macaw, so I am still learning.

Sozzie seems like he loves us all, and I am noticing as his personality develops more and more, that he enjoys being fed by my husband, mostly because I am slow and meticulous about it, and Bobby "gets it done" so to speak lol....and I have noticed Sozzie enjoys his snuggle and sleep time with me....

So, my question is, for you Macaw owners, do you find that they end up loving everyone in the home, or do they end up choosing one person as their "pet"?

I'm curious about all the answers....and I'll leave you with a pic of my new baby....next to my daughter, he's the love of my life!

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: 314541_2459082521186_1375831039_4371722_1727784474_n.jpg

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Macaws in general, once they are adults, will often choose a favorite person, which is completely normal and is to be expected since this is instinctive behavior--in the wild, when a bird matures, he or she will choose a mate for life. In our households, they may pick a human "special someone." Here are some links that help explain this:

(A sticky on Bird Boulevard that I wrote) http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-boulevard/27522-newer-members-one-person-birds.html

A good article by Shari Beaudoin on hormones and behavior: Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

TheBeesKnees

Real Name
Lindsey Champine
Thanks...so the damage isn't done per say, that since my husband is the person doing some of the hand feeding, that he'll choose him as his person? They more so choose as adults?

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks...so the damage isn't done per say, that since my husband is the person doing some of the hand feeding, that he'll choose him as his person? They more so choose as adults?
They may have a preference as babies, but yes, the instincts that cause the most problems as "one-person" instincts are those associated with hormones, pair bonding & sexual behavior, and adulthood.

It is not at all unusual for a family to get a baby macaw and love it to pieces until it reaches age 4-7 years. Then, when the adult hormones set in, and the bird begins to be protective of his person, territorial, and maybe even aggressive to others (just as he would be in nature), they think the bird has "gotten mean." They do not know that such changes are normal for macaws. Part of what makes them so wonderful is their passion for their people, but we don't reap the benefits of this without understanding the drawbacks too. :) Good socialization and training can help, and each bird is a little different in his hormone levels, behavioral extremes, etc. but anyone who owns a large macaw needs to be aware of the changes that come with maturity.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My Macaw is not a 'family' bird. My others are.

I honestly thing my family's fear of him, stunted the bonding that could have happened. Even as a baby, they just didn't want to handle him.

I believe you get out, what you put in...at least for the most part.

Keep your whole family involved on a daily basis with him, and you've got a good chance of keeping him liking the whole family. Yes, he may choose one eventually to love, but IMO, you've a good chance he'll continue to accept everyone if raised this way.

MacDaddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bob
Our Hy will go to both of us, but she does have a solid preference—I'm her chosen and she is very possessive! Our GW, well... she's definitely a one person bird.

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
I have no idea, I live alone. My DH has met Buttons twice, the first time he spent the week being chased around the house by Buttons. The second time it was like Buttons knew he pays the bills, very respectful but she would not step up for him. I am hoping the 3rd time is better but I am fine with her being only mine as long as she doesn't chase him around the house. It is pretty funny though.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Mera is a year old and she can be social and friendly and at other times she'll be shy and standoffish. I'm her favorite for sure. If she is feeling insecure, she will fly to me while company is over and hog me and get moody.:rolleyes: :)

MaximotheMacaw

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicolette
Maximo who is also a blue and gold is a one person bird.

NikkiCat

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Is there any way for any species of macaw to tolerate all members of the family? I understand having a favorite, but I would prefer not to have the non favorite be badly bitten.
Is there a species that would be a better choice than another? For example, a Blue and Gold over a Scarlet?
I love macaws, but I don't want severe bloodshed in my home. That wouldn't be fair to the others.
Example: Allow the non favorite to pick him up, steps up, can be put on perch, tree, etc. Takes food.

Last edited:

Arachloroptera

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
This is a good thread, for new owners, because many people go into parrot keeping thinking it's like having a family dog. Funny... If you've watched Cesar Millan, people seem to have problems with their dogs because they treat them like people. Why do we do this? :huh: For me...hmm... my birds and I share something a bit like my dad's relationship with an old Tomcat we used to have. The cat would come to the sreen door every morning and night to get love and scratches from my dad- then the cat would be gone for the rest of the day. If this cat saw anybody else come too close- he'd shew away. My dad is not an animal person but animals seem to like him. That's what I like about parrots: There is a bond that develops that's kind of like mutual respect, a six sense, feeling comfortable in each others presence without having to- touch necessarilly. I know other people have a more "snuggles" type of thing with their birds and I admire that too. I guess what I'd like to convey is that not everyone in the family will have the same relationship with the bird but everyone can share some type of bond, if they work at it, and understand it. Does that resonate
with anyone else?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Is there any way for any species of macaw to tolerate all members of the family? I understand having a favorite, but I would prefer not to have the non favorite be badly bitten. Is there a species that would be a better choice than another? For example, a Blue and Gold over a Scarlet?I love macaws, but I don't want severe bloodshed in my home. That wouldn't be fair to the others.Example: Allow the non favorite to pick him up, steps up, can be put on perch, tree, etc. Takes food.
They can learn to live with and tolerate other family members both human and animals without seeking blood. But does that mean they will step up, play with or even accept food or scritches? Not likely. You won't hear too often of an ADULT macaw stepping up willingly for everyone. Those cases are not very common.

NikkiCat

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Thanks Arachloroptera. That's my friend Sammy. He is 21 and is super sweet.
Thanks Mercedez. I understand. I just ask because I know a macaw who steps up for me and allows me to give him almonds. That's Sammy. He has never bitten me, and I am definitely not his owner or chosen person.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think with just about any large parrot everyone in the family will have a different relationship with the bird. There might be a favorite that can do almost anything with the bird and make it look easy. And then other people that don't dare reach into the cage or come near the favored person while the bird is on them or risk a bite. When the favored person is not around, that bird might be okay some of the time with non-favored people. Such as, needing to be removed from the cage using a stick rather than a hand. Maybe short scritches once in a while in certain situations. The non-favored people will have to a LOT more watchful of body language. If a non-favored person tries to take the same liberties with the bird that the favored person does, there is likely to be bloodshed.

During the breeding season, all bets are off for everyone even the favored person might have to be careful for a while. I don't think there is any species of medium or large sized parrot that I would feel safe having a child or relative randomly walk up to and pet without setting the situation up for success. There are certainly some excellent individuals and a few training successes. Hyacinths supposedly are pretty good family birds. But still, big beak connecting with little kid fingers and knowing hyacinth or not its still a wild bird, I'd be taking some precautions. Dogs are great family pets. Parrots can be, but some family members might have to accept a look and talk but don't touch relationship on most days. Cockatiels and some of the smaller parakeets like bourkes and lineolateds probably make better family pets.
Melissa

NikkiCat

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
What do you macaw experts think about this article?
The One Person Bird

EDIT: It helps if you look at the DATE, Nicole. :headsmack:

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Nicole, I will have to wait until I'm on an actual computer to respond to that article. It's a good article but its outdated and some information is not correct. To make it very short, in most companion parrots even with proper socialization, it will still choose a mate in the household and its not unhealthy for them if thy are allowed to express sexual desire and masturbate and they can still do all of this and tolerate the other family members well enough that bloodshed isn't always going to happen.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you can do a lot with training. However, it might take a considerable amount of training and I still would not trust a bird 100% in all situations if I wasn't the favorite. Come to think of it, I don't trust them 100% even when I am the favorite. Probably why I don't get a lot of nasty bites.
It would be interesting to do a poll for owners of mature(5+ year old birds only) if they are equally good with all family members. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do a poll and I don't want to hijack someone else's idea. Theoretical training aside, I'd almost bet in real life even with above average parrot experienced families, most mature macaws are not equally good with everyone. And probably down right unpredictable with a few. I'm with Mercedez, Liz Wilson is awesome, but the article is old.
Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.