• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaws and foot toys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some of ours do and others don't and doesn't appear to be species related. Our Hys love to play with foot toys and I think they have learned by picking up their huge mac nuts and playing prior to crackling them.

Last edited:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I think foot toys are an integral part of enrichment for a bird. I also like to play "catch" with my macaws with a wiffle ball (the large one with holes). They catch the ball and then throw it back. We keep score as to who makes the most catches - them or me! :lol:

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
my large Macaws are about the same except not the Hys they love foot toys.They love to hold things in their feet and work on it

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My hyacinth likes foot toys. The amazons and cockatoos seem to be more naturals with them though. The macaw will play with foot toys but she doesn't necessarily prefer them over other toys.
Melissa

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The only thing Mera really doesn't do is play with foot toys inside her cage. She does but she prefers the hanging toys when inside the cage.

jessherpaco

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherry
Paco loves his foot toys! I just noticed the other day that he has become very good with his feet. Favorite is a block of wood that has come off a hanging toy I just throw the blocks in his basket and he goes crazy. I have a basket on his playstand that he can forage thru to find what he wants to play with. :)

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only thing Mera really doesn't do is play with foot toys inside her cage. She does but she prefers the hanging toys when inside the cage.
For sure, they drop them between the bars on the bottom in the cage, they really like playing with the foot toys when they are out on my lap or playing on the bed.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
For sure, they drop them between the bars on the bottom in the cage, they really like playing with the foot toys when they are out on my lap or playing on the bed.
I haven't used grates for quite some time, but when I did Mera or even Gra, never went to the bottom of the cage and try to reach for the foot toy between the grates. Now my cockatoos are different :D

I don't use grates because they are messy and get dirty and my birds enjoy playing on the papers. Mera will often times play down there :D

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I haven't used grates for quite some time, but when I did Mera or even Gra, never went to the bottom of the cage and try to reach for the foot toy between the grates. Now my cockatoos are different :D

I don't use grates because they are messy and get dirty and my birds enjoy playing on the papers. Mera will often times play down there :D
I find if they get down to pic up a foot toy or piece of a hanging broken toy it really doesn't matter if it is a grate or papers, they both will be dirty if we are gone a few hours. It is helpful if they don't drop the toy in the same direction that they poop! LOL :)

sugarbeth

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Beth
I fill up Buzz's toy dish with Legos and he uses those as foot toys. I used to make him more complicated foot toys, but he prefers the legos, so that makes it pretty easy on me. :) I've got about a bizillion of them.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hi Beth, your Buzz and my Holly are nearly the same age. She was hatched 6 days after Buzz.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.