• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw People with Eggsperience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey, just throwing out my experience with old laying macaws. :rofl:

Maybe if she lays late it won't be a shock or worry from my post. ;)

At least she is sitting on the egg and not a giant jolly ball. It could be worse Karen. :lol:
I'll be on the look out. I meant to ask about the jolly ball. Do tell?

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Karen - My Vet offered laser therapy for Jasper a few years ago, but at that time he didn't have a laser machine and I would have had to take her to a very large multi- animal clinic and Phoenix is 2 hours one way driving. We finally had to amputate two toes on her bad foot (from the time she hatched)two years ago. She gets along fine with two toes on the one foot.

What/where is Kita getting her laser treatments?
Glad Jasper is doing well. I am very grateful that Kita has the opportunity nearby. Kita has also had acupuncture.

We go to All Creatures: All Creatures Animal Hospital | East Amherst Veterinarian

Her AV is: Dr. Adamcak. You can read her bio: Our Skilled Veterinarians | All Creatures Animal Hospital
We LOVE her! She saved Kita's life 12 years ago and continues to be an integral part of our everyday!

EDITED TO ADD: Kita gets the laser therapy on her pelvis, feet, spine and shoulders.

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'll be on the look out. I meant to ask about the jolly ball. Do tell?

Well, she didn't care about the first egg so I removed it. When she laid the second I removed it and she started to hatch this.
My Egg is Gone, I'll Have to Hatch This.... | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

So of course I felt awful that I removed it. I put back a dummy egg which then turned into this.
I Am Not A Hoarder!!! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

She ended up with a nest of dummy eggs, wooden balls AND the giant egg. o_O

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, she didn't care about the first egg so I removed it. When she laid the second I removed it and she started to hatch this.
My Egg is Gone, I'll Have to Hatch This.... | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

So of course I felt awful that I removed it. I put back a dummy egg which then turned into this.
I Am Not A Hoarder!!! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

She ended up with a nest of dummy eggs, wooden balls AND the giant egg. o_O
LOL, too funny, she looked quite happy with her diverse family!!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sakie is such a cutie. She certainly believes in diversity.

@Macawnutz - have you considered taking Korbel back for more laser treatments?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Macawnutz - have you considered taking Korbel back for more laser treatments?

No, I don't know where to laser anymore. :(
Everytime I think I know where it changes. He is also quite a butt about it. I would buy a machine before dragging him twice a week again.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Well he could always get a little whiff of happy gas before treatments. Jasper gets happy gas whenever they need to do anything delicate. She doesn't fight, she just wiggles and squiggles and that's hard to stop, besides we never want to overtax her heart.

@Karen Sounds like you have a great Dr. and a wonderful clinic. There are very few Diplomates around Speers is one.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Well he could always get a little whiff of happy gas before treatments. Jasper gets happy gas whenever they need to do anything delicate. She doesn't fight, she just wiggles and squiggles and that's hard to stop, besides we never want to overtax her heart.

No, since my vet is two hours away I do laser at a local vet that does not see birds. My friend is kind enough to do him when I need but I have to towel and hold him. They will not be administering happy gas. ;)

What do you pay for laser Karen? My avian vet charges $15 per site, my local clinic is WAY more.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sarah my Vet has a 13 treatment package and I'm pretty sure I paid $345. (I'll check when I get home). Last package she had 3 sites done. This package we're getting 4 sites done and the price has remained the same.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You know looking it up I was charged $15 per site the first time I went to my avian vet but $50 the second time.

My local place does the package. One site x 6 is $180 am I getting ripped off? It was $90 a visit and for awhile we were going 2X a week.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
$30 a site seems really expensive. $90 a visit, holy moly!!

At my AV they only work on each site for 4-5 minutes. Was yours longer than that?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
No, if I recall they set the timer for 2-3 minutes and all three sites were done in that time frame. We used to do ankle, knee hip. If I started it again I would do both hips and spine.

I'm making my vet rounds again. Korbel was to be next in line but he has been bumped for Kailua. I take them in using the buddy system. Taking Korbel and Kailua would be #1 too much drama and #2 too much money. Lol

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, if I recall they set the timer for 2-3 minutes and all three sites were done in that time frame.
OMG, that's fast. Kita's appointments take about 15 minutes.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OMG, that's fast. Kita's appointments take about 15 minutes.
You mentioned Korbel had to be toweled. He wouldn't sit on your lap while they did it?

Kita is really good about it and just sits on my lap. I even hold one of the thingies and shine the laser light at the nape of Kita's neck for the tech.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You mentioned Korbel had to be toweled. He wouldn't sit on your lap while they did it?

Kita is really good about it and just sits on my lap. I even hold one of the thingies and shine the laser light at the nape of Kita's neck for the tech.

No, Korbel let's no one come near him other than my husband, son or myself. He is awful at the vet and even my avian vet makes sure to have his best techs on my appointment days. ;)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Karen, don't forget that Korbel is "privileged".

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Karen, don't forget that Korbel is "privileged".

OMG I doubt his "privileged" status makes him difficult for vet visits. Maybe the fact that he was hospitalized so many times! Force fed, crop swabs, IV tubes and nearly dying so many times. Personally I wouldn't like anyone else either. :laugh:

It got to the point that he knew Monday was vet day. I ran out of creative ideas to catch him to take him for laser. Near the end, he wouldn't come out on Mondays. He would draw blood if I tried to bring him out of the cage.

Which I thought was silly... he did much better for my friend and I than my avian vet. Once toweled, it was pretty easy going. He would just whine and groan these awful noises.

Karen, do GW have a scared smell? I don't notice Rosie ever smelling this way. Blue and golds have an odor they put off when.. I guess scared or nervous. Korbel would smell all day afterward. He does it whenever we leave the house.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've never noticed any change in smell with Hank or Jasper when they are scared. Jasper rarely gets mad she just gets mad and pouty.

Poor Hank was at the vet's a lot for the first 5 years he was with me.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Sam and Korbel have the odor. I didn't notice the hys last time I took them. It's a strange chemical type smell. Even if I put Sam and Korbel outside in their cages they will get it. I don't smell it often but I've been trying to pay attention to it. Last week I had all the windows in the house open and they both smelled that way.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How interesting. I've never noticed a scared smell on the GW's.

Status
Not open for further replies.