• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw never fill his crop

Status
Not open for further replies.

B&G

Moving in
Hi,

my 1 year old blue and gold macaw, Rio, don't fill his crop at all. Only rarely I can feel the food in his crop. I always make sure that his food bowls are full most of the day. I don't think that this is a health issue, but is his behavior normal ?

His weight is stable at 1110 grams when his crop is completely empty.

Thanks

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
If he is eating normally and lots of fresh veggies and fruits as well then I do not think there is anything to worry about..

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
birds don't usually fill there crops like we would our stomachs. they naturally forage here, fly there, forage some more, fly some more... etc.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Because you offer plenty of food all day long, he will just nibble here and there. I provide two meals a day, which my birds will fill their crops but I also offer plenty of snacks and foraging opportunities between meals.:)

Cephus

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Brian
He's not filling his crop because he knows he has a ready supply of food available. If he knew he had to go a long time between feedings, he'd fill it to get him through the lean times. It's like filling the gas tank on your car. If you have to drive a long way with no gas stations around, you'd fill it up all the time, but if there were gas stations everywhere and you could pull over any time you wanted, you might only put a little bit in each time to get you where you need to go.

So long as he isn't losing weight, he's fine.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I think mature birds don't fill their crops like babies do--I can never feel Nicky's(SC) crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.