• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Lifestyle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
:heart::heart::heart: This is NOT helping my desire for a macaw people! The green wings are just making me want them more and more. I need to go back to refresh my grey love before I end up plotting how make m'lady overlook a large brightly colored addition!

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse

There's no love like macaw love, and no guilt like macaw guilt. They need so much more than I could have anticipated.

Everything Holiday said, but especially this.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
For us, Raylan is just into everything and is on the move all the time. He wants to be with us one second and then screaming out the window the next second, then on to his playstand and back to us again. Wash, rinse repeat! :lol:Actually I took some pictures(my 10yr old took them - sorry for the blurriness) last night while he was running around. Here ya go!

NikkiCat

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Love this thread. Macaws are just so special.:heart:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well get yourself a couple of TOOZ and you will change your mind about these points. :)
LOL, and I would say the reason I don't have any 'toos and never will is because my mind is already quite well made up on these points :) But, I'll acknowledge that it's a difference in perspective and perception and that others might see it differently. Nevertheless, I'll stand by my characterization, which was made, btw, because I was trying to answer the OP's questions about living with macaws and not because I was trying to insult anyone with a 'too or other species.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Someone needs to start a Cockatoo lifestyle thread. And, a Grey lifestyle thread. :D
This is the Grey lifestyle, all it needs is some facial expressions

:rolleyes: :eek: :rofl: :confused: :heart:

brandy2103

Real Name
Brandy
OMG, you said it. I got chills reading your post, you do have to "share your home with them", they demand it. It truly is their home too. I compare my B&G (Rio's) cage to my other kids bedrooms. He spends some time there, but wants to be with his family most of the time. My bird has no screaming issues, and I believe it's because he is with us so much. We raised him from a four week old baby.

brandy2103

Real Name
Brandy
Macaws as being more methodical or slower (moving) than zons surprises me. I guess I just took Jasper's ...everything... and magnified it in my imagination. I will say that it makes sense from the few macaws I have met though- they seem more even keeled than I am used to, so much so that I've always been suspicious that they're plotting something, which has made me mistrustful of them. Good to know that sometimes, they certainly might be plotting, but usually that's just them. ;) Then again, I'm always shocked when a bird doesn't just bite the ever loving stuffing out of everyone other than their person on principle too.

Bigger toys, food, expense, cages, and stands all makes sense. TBH, I would love to have someone around here who actually destroyed toys.

I sometimes thing it would be best to only have a macaw, or any bird, when it could be cage free and wherever in the house it wanted to be. How are macaws (yes, gross generalization) about entertaining themselves? Are they velco birds like 'toos tend to be, or more independent? How active do they tend to be?[/QUOTE]
IMO...they are not velcro birds to the extent Too's are. I have had both. My Cockatoo followed me from room to room, and when I was sitting she never stopped preening me. Rio likes to be near me, but he's more playful and loves his toys. he plays all the time. Usually takes a mid-day nap and sleeps as long as I do. i had an Amazon for a few months...very bad match for me, he was much quicker and bit hard. Rio does nip on occasion, but has never drawn blood, and I can see it coming. Rio does DESTROY his toys, but is not really otherwise destructive. I do keep toys available. I did raise Rio from 4 weeks old.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
:heart::heart::heart: This is NOT helping my desire for a macaw people! The green wings are just making me want them more and more. I need to go back to refresh my grey love before I end up plotting how make m'lady overlook a large brightly colored addition!
I know! I am just more and more convinced I want to share my life with a big red bird. :cool1:

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen

Stephen, did you need someone to 'babysit' Danny while you're getting to know your new macaw?:heart:
:hehe: Sure, if you want to travel to Townsville... Seriously though, I think Danny would really miss his evening cuddles on my knee too much :heart: It's our special time when Elmo has gone to bed :)

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I know! I am just more and more convinced I want to share my life with a big red bird. :cool1:
That's what I thought.... and it's soooooo worth it!!! :D

Do it! :rofl:

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
I am all about the Too's and they have trained me very well :). When Buttons came into my life I knew nothing about Macaws and I wasn't concerned because I thought I was rehoming her. But, she is here and I am thankful everyday for that! The biggest thing I noticed right away is Buttons is very easy to read. If she gets upset her cheeks turn bright read, if she wants something she will grunt it out until I figure out what she wants. I feel like I am dealing with a child that is in the first grade. She has excellent manners, she expresses herself freely and she is a lover. After I got the training I needed, a whole world has opened up for me and Buttons. I know Buttons is the most civilized bird I have here and that took me a long time to adjust because my U2s have to be constantly read so I don't get hurt, with Buttons I don't have to do that. She wears her feelings right on her wing for all to see. She has also defended me the way a human would. Farfey viciously attacked me a few months ago. I was caught so off guard she had the upper hand, she had a hold of my chin and as was ripping it apart and I could not get her off me. Finally I fell to the floor and pushed her off and I thought it was over but it wasn't she came right back at me again, full force. Buttons was on her tree when this happened and she came off that tree and stood with her chest and wings out and charged at Farfey until Farfey was up against the wall. Farfey was terrified and so was I and when I said "STOP, Buttons" She immediately stopped and came over to me. That day really showed me something about her, it really did. I feel that she has compassion towards me and in such a short time. What was my U2, Ozzy doing during this attack? LAUGHING. I have a strong and deep emotional tie to Buttons and it is totally different than with my U2's. I honestly describe the U2's as toddlers with handguns. Buttons seems to think things through and has a better realization of what a human and bird relationship should be. I definitely feel her loyalty everyday.:heart::heart::heart::heart:

And, please don't get me wrong, I :heart::heart::heart: my Too's and I would never have it any other way but this relationship with Buttons is totally different. I think she has been 20 times easier to live with than my chicken nuggets (u2s) but I love my clowns and they keep me on my toes and that is a good thing :)

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It's like that old song "When A Man Loves a Woman." Just change the words to "When a Macaw Loves a Human." It's a similar vibe of loyalty and self-sacrifice and blindness to fault. Of course, people could probably go round and round and say it's not exclusive to macaws, and yet, to me, it is, by definition.
This is sooooo true!!!!
What an awesome thread.....

I agree with Danita about their memories! Amazing how they remember things! Of course Holliday is always spot on with her posts!

Anna was my 1st Macaw.... taking her into my home was a life changing experience for me....I swear that little bird knows my soul!!!!!

That is one of the things that draws me to Macaws... they are very inutiitve, very intelligent and the other side of them.... are big goofballs! They like to have fun!

I am every bit a part of their lives as they are a part of mine, so to me it is worth every bit of the work, time and money hat I spend on them!

brittneydee

Jogging around the block
This thread is dangerous! The more I read the more I think I might one day want a Mac :heart: Of course I'm no where close to being ready for one right now, and I would need to do a mountian of research first. I've always been a bit scared of macaws because of their size, but your stories and insights make me realize that they can be incredible if respected and raised the right way. Thank you for starting such a wonderful thread!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am all about the Too's and they have trained me very well :). When Buttons came into my life I knew nothing about Macaws and I wasn't concerned because I thought I was rehoming her. But, she is here and I am thankful everyday for that! The biggest thing I noticed right away is Buttons is very easy to read. If she gets upset her cheeks turn bright read, if she wants something she will grunt it out until I figure out what she wants. I feel like I am dealing with a child that is in the first grade. She has excellent manners, she expresses herself freely and she is a lover. After I got the training I needed, a whole world has opened up for me and Buttons. I know Buttons is the most civilized bird I have here and that took me a long time to adjust because my U2s have to be constantly read so I don't get hurt, with Buttons I don't have to do that. She wears her feelings right on her wing for all to see. She has also defended me the way a human would. Farfey viciously attacked me a few months ago. I was caught so off guard she had the upper hand, she had a hold of my chin and as was ripping it apart and I could not get her off me. Finally I fell to the floor and pushed her off and I thought it was over but it wasn't she came right back at me again, full force. Buttons was on her tree when this happened and she came off that tree and stood with her chest and wings out and charged at Farfey until Farfey was up against the wall. Farfey was terrified and so was I and when I said "STOP, Buttons" She immediately stopped and came over to me. That day really showed me something about her, it really did. I feel that she has compassion towards me and in such a short time. What was my U2, Ozzy doing during this attack? LAUGHING. I have a strong and deep emotional tie to Buttons and it is totally different than with my U2's. I honestly describe the U2's as toddlers with handguns. Buttons seems to think things through and has a better realization of what a human and bird relationship should be. I definitely feel her loyalty everyday.:heart::heart::heart::heart:

And, please don't get me wrong, I :heart::heart::heart: my Too's and I would never have it any other way but this relationship with Buttons is totally different. I think she has been 20 times easier to live with than my chicken nuggets (u2s) but I love my clowns and they keep me on my toes and that is a good thing :)
Janice, thanks so much for posting! :hug8: This story is wonderful.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I completely believe you. Macaws are like no other parrot species.:heart:

NikkiCat

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole

Wow, that is quite an amazing story! Yay for Buttons! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.