• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Lifestyle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think on Kalan's recent thread, Dotty4 said, "The biggest obstacle for me was changing our lifestyle, macaws are more of a lifestyle."

Would you mac owners be able to elaborate? How are they different from other birds and pets? Obviously, they're not dogs, cats, etc, but I've heard them described as somewhat 'dog-like' in their desire to interact constantly and be beaky. How is the 'macaw' lifestyle different from the 'other large bird' lifestyle?
I think they tend to be more even tempered and interact more like a child would. They are less emotional and a little more predictable. I've known plenty of people who's macaws have become aggressive during the breeding season though, so as with any bird once maturity hits you could have a rough time once in a while. Interesting the dog connection. For years I've compared my hyacinth to a Labrador puppy with a beak. She does like to play rough and during the formative years the gentleness training can push your patience. I enjoy my macaw a lot more now that she is an adult than when she was a baby. I think if I ever have the urge to get another macaw it will be a rehome just so I don't have to do the baby thing. Mine is way more clingy than either of my cockatoos. She's also quite a bit more vocal as well. I know, that totally is not the stereotype, but its the way it is in my house. The cockatoos have a few minutes to blow off steam and thats it. The macaw vocalizes a lot periodically throughout the day. And she's the first to start screaming with the sunrise and is most likely to scream back when another bird gets going.

I'm not sure the macaw lifestyle is all that different from a cockatoo lifestyle. Its more involved than the amazon lifestyle for sure. On the surface, the level of commitment seems pretty similar to that of the cockatoos. However, there is totally different type of interaction than the 'toos that I've never been able to put into words. As a long time cockatoo owner, it took me a while to become a macaw person.

Just a quick story to underscore the difference between my macaw and the cockatoos:
If I turn my back on the cockatoos, they immediately take off across the room to destroy stuff. But to the cockatoos, its for the joy of getting away with something. They love to figure out how things work and have a much greater capacity for deviousness than the macaw. As unpopular as this opinion may be here, I also think the cockatoos might be a smidgen more intelligent. At least more so than hys. GW might be another story as I've heard more than one person say GW are among the smartest of the large macaws.

If I turn my back on the hyacinth, she will immediately launch herself at me. If that isn't an option, or its already been made clear to her that she's not getting attention that way, then Cosmo will immediately look for trouble. She does it for the sole purpose of getting me to come running. One of my greatest frustrations with her as a baby was that she did not grasp the concept that bad=jail. I'd be in another room, she'd fly over to the cockatoo cage and start taking things apart. I'd walk back in and she'd totally have a look on her face that says "Ooops, did I do that? Gosh you better come get me before I get into more trouble." She was able to make the immediate mental jump that trouble equals mom. Since mom giving her a ride to jail(cage) was one step farther removed, she never grasped it. I've had the best luck keeping her off the other bird cages by ignoring her. Eventually she gets bored and goes back to her gym once she figures out it isn't any fun anymore since I won't come get her.

Also, while I'm sure macaws are very intelligent, they don't always express it. Or maybe its just a matter of not having to think too hard when you can force things to happen with sheer power. The macaws first attempt at anything challenging is to break it. If that doesn't work, she might get bored and give up. The cockatoos will keep thinking it over until they figure it out. With a macaw, not breakable means not worth bothering with. At least that's how it is with mine.
Melissa

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also, while I'm sure macaws are very intelligent, they don't always express it. Or maybe its just a matter of not having to think too hard when you can force things to happen with sheer power. The macaws first attempt at anything challenging is to break it. If that doesn't work, she might get bored and give up. The cockatoos will keep thinking it over until they figure it out. With a macaw, not breakable means not worth bothering with. At least that's how it is with mine.
Melissa
Yeah, everyone's experience varies, but I'll just note that nothing you've mentioned here relates to my RFM at all. At 540 grams, she's not big enough to be about power; she has to rely on deviousness and charm. And, there may be a cockatoo smarter than she is, but I sure haven't seen one yet. And, really, my B&G is also more about finesse than force. I think pretty much any measure of cognitive ability varies from species to species and individual to individual within the macaw family (and the 'toos as well).

No one should go into getting a parrot expecting it to be an Einstein, of course. They're all different.

hannahbird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Hannah
This thread makes waiting for Zada to get here ever harder! I wonder how smart she wil be?
I cant wait to be able to relate to all of this!

SkyBaby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kira
^Aww Zada is stunning! What kind of hybrid is she? I think I see some B&G in there, but what else?

I agree, reading these types of stories makes macaw lust even worse. lol

hannahbird

Real Name
Hannah
^Aww Zada is stunning! What kind of hybrid is she? I think I see some B&G in there, but what else?

I agree, reading these types of stories makes macaw lust even worse. lol
Thank you! Shes a B&G and a scarlet:)
And I know the feeling! :heart:

SkyBaby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kira
Oh! Awesome! You must be so stoked!! When do you get to bring her home? A catalina are they called? I really have my heart set on a harlequin when I'm ready to get a macaw years from now. lol

MacDaddie

Real Name
Bob
Just a quick story to underscore the difference between my macaw and the cockatoos:
If I turn my back on the cockatoos, they immediately take off across the room to destroy stuff. But to the cockatoos, its for the joy of getting away with something. They love to figure out how things work and have a much greater capacity for deviousness than the macaw. As unpopular as this opinion may be here, I also think the cockatoos might be a smidgen more intelligent. At least more so than hys. GW might be another story as I've heard more than one person say GW are among the smartest of the large macaws.

If I turn my back on the hyacinth, she will immediately launch herself at me. If that isn't an option, or its already been made clear to her that she's not getting attention that way, then Cosmo will immediately look for trouble. She does it for the sole purpose of getting me to come running. One of my greatest frustrations with her as a baby was that she did not grasp the concept that bad=jail. I'd be in another room, she'd fly over to the cockatoo cage and start taking things apart. I'd walk back in and she'd totally have a look on her face that says "Ooops, did I do that? Gosh you better come get me before I get into more trouble." She was able to make the immediate mental jump that trouble equals mom. Since mom giving her a ride to jail(cage) was one step farther removed, she never grasped it. I've had the best luck keeping her off the other bird cages by ignoring her. Eventually she gets bored and goes back to her gym once she figures out it isn't any fun anymore since I won't come get her.

Melissa
Melissa, I loved some of your observations!! :) I agree, Hys will launch themselves if they feel bored and want your companionship... I always thought Hys were the "peroxide blondes" of the macaw world, but Miss Maggie has proven me wrong! I just think at times it's harder to take them seriously because they're natural born entertainers, but then again; what macaws aren't?! Miss Maggie amazes me with her empathic nature and her intelligence, plus she is also very possessive. I always dreamed of a Hy and when MM came into my life, she proved the wait was worth it.

I honestly believe the smartest of the big macaws is Scarlets and that's why so many people consider them "problematic", they need constant mental stimulation and if they lack it, they suffer and so do those around them. I have never seen a bird so manipulative as a Scarlet, they blow me away...

As for 'toos... well... they scare the heck outta me!!! Every or I should say most of the 'toos I haved handled have pegged me! :eek: Beaks smaller than macaw beaks also scare me—they can pierce skin a lot more easily than the big ones! :)

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

I think pretty much any measure of cognitive ability varies from species to species and individual to individual within the macaw family (and the 'toos as well).
I totally agree that stereotyping by species or even sex will not be true for individual parrot's intelligence or personality just the same as it doesn't with humans. If a person is looking for an intelligent, charming parrot I wouldn't recommend by species but by one I have met and watched for a period of time. Our macaw species look quite similar, but none of them even come close to each other in their individual personality.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Yeah, everyone's experience varies, but I'll just note that nothing you've mentioned here relates to my RFM at all. At 540 grams, she's not big enough to be about power; she has to rely on deviousness and charm. And, there may be a cockatoo smarter than she is, but I sure haven't seen one yet. And, really, my B&G is also more about finesse than force
I thought about mentioning red fronts in there somewhere but it was getting long. Red fronts and blue throats seem a little more quizzical. And even for my macaw, I have to wonder to what extent her intellectual development is hindered by being in my living room than in the wild. Almost everything of human creation is easily destroyed by a hyacinth beak. She just doesn't have to be smart to get what she wants. I do think she's smarter than she seems. She just doesn't have to show me. It just seems like the birds that have to use their mind do. My cockatoos are always trying to think a few steps ahead, as I bet your red front. However, much as I love my hy, I do think there are smarter bird out there. Mine might just be a duffus.
Melissa

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Cockatoos are scary!:eek: I trust a big beaked macaw more.
Macaws give fair warning also, and are easy to read if you understand body language.

Status
Not open for further replies.