• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Macaw fell and her beak is hurting her and she does not want to eat

Arielmacaw

Checking out the neighborhood
Yesterday my macaw Ariel fell off a swing because the wire holding it up snapped. She has fallen farther than this before and hasn't really gotten hurt this bad, I'm worried the swing might have fallen on her or something, but I didn't really see what happened when she fell. She did bleed for a bit on the inside of her beak, but I can't see a crack or injury and she acts is like she is in pain, she is not bleeding anymore but does not want to eat much or drink much, I do have some pain meds prescribed from the vet from when she was chewing her feathers, but I can't get her to take much. I dont want her to get worse but if I take her to the vet, she always ends up very stressed and all they could really do for me is prescribe more pain meds for her. What should I do? Should I just take her to the vet anyway or maybe give her something at home? It's hard to tell because I can't see an injury, but she acts like the very tip of her beak hurts pretty bad when she tries to touch something with it. She does seem fluffed up sometimes and sleeps more than normal but I imagine not to be too concerned about that because if I got hurt I would do the same thing.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
See a avian vet asap

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My macaw misjudged a landing one time and really cracked his beak into a window mantle. It bled quite badly for a short time, I sat him in my lap with a towel until it stopped, probably half hour or so.

I watched him closely, I could see the crack he got, I also believe he hurt the inside some. For several days I had to hand feed him, and he'd only take in liquid food, wouldn't open his beak much. A few days later, he was eating better, but it was easy to see he was very sore, wouldn't climb with his beak. Soft food for a week, and watched to make sure was eating enough for the next several.

I did watch for other signs of pain, he had none luckily.
Beak injuries can be quite painful, and can bleed badly.
If the bleeding continues, the pain seems really bad, or you see other injuries I'd seach out a vet.
It you think it's just the beak that was injured, I'd just watch very closely, feed carefully and liquify the feed for less pain. Unsweetened applesauce, pureed baby food, are some examples, if he'll take feeding formula even that would keep him filled up. Mine would not bite down for days.

I hope you baby is okay and makes a full recovery quickly.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beak injuries can cause them a lot of pain. If it starts bleeding again it's off to the vet ASAP. I'd offer soft foods for a few days until she is better. I'd try soaking pellets in hot water until soft. Drain off the water. Also mashed sweet potatoes, scrambled eggs, etc.. Lower perches, for now, to reduce a risk of falling. You may need to pad the bottom of her cage if she can't climb well. It'll help in case she falls.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'd keep my eye on Ariel for a few days. The fluffing and lethargy concern me and would concern me more if it continues. Also, you mentioned that "she" hurt the side of her beak but also that the tip appeared to be a source of pain. Maybe the bird is injured worse than you initially thought? If there is not major improvement by Monday, I'd schedule a vet visit to ascertain the extent of the injury and to obtain treatment.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Beak pain is like nerve pain. Very painful. You usually want to have pain meds as it can be days of hurting and they do have trouble eating. What pain meds do you have available?

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Everyone has already given you great advice so I’ll just add one of the things I learned through years of beak issues with Seamus, my military. He has to regularly recover for a week or so after painful cleanings of his mouth and beak. He will absolutely not touch his normal pellets while he’s tender. He also doesn’t tolerate warm food. He does however love frozen “treats.” Ground up pellets mixed with sweet potato, a bit of banana, whatever he’s liking most at the moment, then frozen into little easy to hold shapes. They melt into easy to eat slush pretty quickly and make eating a bit less uncomfortable during the recovery period.