• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Daily meals

PurpleFeathers

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Omar
Hello all,

I'm Omar and I am new to this forum, I was wondering what other people feed their Macaws on a daily basis, I would like to get some new ideas for my macaw's routine

Thanks!

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Max (blue and gold) lives outside the cage for most of the day. So he eats throughout the day and when he sees mom eat, he needs a meal or snack too - he loves to eat with his flock!

Our typical routine, but specific foods vary..

Morning he comes out of his cage and hangs out on the high counter in kitchen (like breakfast bar) while I grab breakfast. I prepare a bowl of fresh food for him, today's bowl had piece of apple, shredded carrot, 4 chunks of cucumber, 3 fresh snap peas and a piece of cooked potato (crisped up without oil or salt using waffle press).

He had that on his feeding chair (bowl clips on rail), that chair sits at corner of our sectional sofa. So he munched on his fresh goodies while I had oatmeal.

After he's made a mess of the bowl and clear he won't eat more, the bowl is emptied and he gets a bowl of dry mix, which varies, but typically includes a nut/fruit/grain/veggie mix such as parrot legume or Madagascar with Roudybush Ca mixed in... often give him a chunk of homemade birdie bread or cracker.

Throughout the day as I snack, he gets a nut in shell (almond, Brazil, walnut). If I have a GF fruit and grain bar, he'll climb up onto my lap and steal a chunk, same with banana.

When my husband gets home, it's their boy time, they hang out in stair landing and play and Byron gives him a few pistachios.

At dinner, Max gets another fresh food bowl.... whatever veggies I steam for us, he gets a pile pulled before seasonings. Typically this might be broccoli, cauliflower, corn, edamame, carrots.... he will get a small spoon of cooked potatoes or treat of Mac and cheese, or a larger scoop if rice that night. And an even larger scoop if i made mashed sweet potatoes or butternut squash. He also gets plain cooked pasta if we have spaghetti.

Depending on what he gets from dinner, I may add fresh bell pepper, field greens from salad and usually I have sprouts going for the birds, so those top off dinner bowl.

At night for bed, he gets a bowl of dry food only because I live with health challenges so I always make sure he has a nice array in case I'm late getting moving. That bowl always has Phoenix Foraging Green Chunks, caitec baked pellets, a nut mix (like Boca nuts with dried bananas, cinnamon, anise), and I give him a chunk of avicake, top bowl off with a few of his beloved pine nuts.

That's just what might be in his bowl any given random day.

I bake birdie bread, soak seed and grains, make oatmeal treats and he gets a bit of scrambled egg msybe once a week.... and he loves my toasted GF cinnamon raisin bread!

I eat pretty healthy so Max tends to eat along with me throughout the day.

SeverelySweet

Sprinting down the street
Sydney (Severe Macaw) is really picky about fresh fruits and veges, and will rarely eat them. So, I have to be really sneaky about how I get anything that might be good for him into his beak.

Breakfast is usually pomegranate avrils and a piece of birdie bread, because that's about all he will eat. But, the birdie bread contains all the stuff that's good for him....sweet potatoes or pumpkin, shredded carrots, apple chunks, etc. (I switch it up every new batch so he doesn't get bored with the flavors). Some days, he will have scrambled eggs and toast, or even flavored oatmeal (watch out for the sugar). He gets a mix of Rowdy bush pellets and Higgins VitaSeed California blend, and usually a couple almonds or pecans in his dry bowl.

As the day goes on, he usually gets small samples of whatever I might be eating. For e,ample, yesterday for lunch he got some of the noodles, bell peppers, and peas from my shrimp scampi...and then later, a small piece of the crust from my grilled cheese. He also had a snack of 2 almonds, dome cucumber, and a piece of celery (he mostly plays with the celery though...has great fun just pulling the strings out, lol).

Dinner is the same...usually whatever I'm eating. Last night, it was mashed potatoes, a bit of pork chop, and fresh steamed spinach.

Bedtime means his dry bowl is filled with fresh pellets and seed mix, and a couple more almonds...and maybe a Nutriberry tteat, or a piece of oatmeal bar.

Yes, he eats ALOT! But, when I first brought him home, he was severely underweight, and it's taken 2 years to get him even close to his ideal weight. Also, he seems to lose weight too easily...I think he's got a really high metabolism, like I do,

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I feed zupreem naturals and Harrisons lifetime pellets available at all times. Twice a day they get fresh foods. Veggie chop mixture of things like sweet potato, peppers, squash, zucchini, broccoli and a piece of fruit. They also get a piece of birdie bird. At bedtime they get whole nuts, almond, pecan, walnuts, hazelnuts..

issajoy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Ollie has Harrison's pellets available to her all day in her foraging wheel. Before I leave for work, she gets a cup of a fruit or veggie to have throughout the day along with fresh water. She also gets a cup of a new fruit or veggie when me and my girlfriend eat dinner. (Try to do a fruit at one meal, a veggie at the other so she has some balance)

She gets nuts as treats when she has to be in her cage and we are home (if I'm cooking, cleaning or otherwise need her to be in), probably about 1/4 cup a day. Pistachios are her favorite, followed by walnuts. I also put some red palm oil on a walnut for her every day.

What she actually eats out of all the food given to her? Probably about 1&1/2 cups of fruit/veggie, 1/4 cup nuts, 1/4-1/2 cup pellets (more if she isn't super into the fruit or veggie I give her)

Favorite Foods: Bananas (#1, she goes crazy for fresh bananas or banana chips), Raspberries, Cranberries, Snap peas, Green beans, Brocolli, Strawberries, walnuts, pistashios
Foods she likes (eats about half of then is tired of it): Bell pepper, spinach, romaine, grapes, chickpeas, kiwis, soybeans, hazelnuts
Food she WILL NOT EAT: Sweet potato, watermelon, apples, almonds, cashews