• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

M2 attacked by hawk at LA zoo bird show - (shocking but not graphic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I have to share this - I am positively moved to tears by the braveness of this zoo host. She uses her body to SHIELD Scooter from an attack by a hawk at the LA Zoo. I am amazed by her alertness to the bird's body language and her ability to react. She hugs the cockatoo and saves his life, taking the brunt of the attack to her head and neck. It looks like the hawk was trying to go through her to get to the M2.

I am not sure if she was harmed; this video is 2 years old.

It's a little less hard to believe this could happen to you walking down the street with your parrot, harness or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Yeah I saw that once. Amazing that she'd put herself at risk like that. Mostly because that was her first instinct. It wasn't to run or throw scooter of and dive but to hug him in and curl her body around him. It says alot about her relationship with him.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:omg: How terrifying!

It is lucky she seen that the hawk was coming down on him (as well as hearing the loud screeches), and quickly reacted by using her body as a shield, had she not, he would have been gone. She obviously has a very close bond with him and loves him a lot. I am surprised though that the M2 wasn't biting out of fear, he must have been just as scared since he was the target. I do also wonder how he escaped, was the door not closed properly? Surely he couldn't escape out of something like that, not as if he can push the door and out he goes.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I do know someone who was attacked by a hawk in a rural area here. He had his macaw on his shoulder when it struck at him, and pummelled his chest. The bruise on him was amazing-- about a foot and a half long. Very lucky for a screeching MAC, and a thick leather jacket that he wasn't more seriously injured-- for her if scooter had not warned her of it swooping in he would not have survived.

Last edited:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
oh my goodness! What a brave lady.

The other day I was thinking about how I would like to get a flight harness for my future larger parrot and was wondering about the danger of hawks. I had a hawk dive bomb and crash into my sunroom windows trying to get my parakeet - so this is a real fear of mine.

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
This is scary! We live in the country and on Sunday I went to throw some scraps to our chickens and they were all hiding in a bush. There are lots of hawks around here but we only let them out for short periods and that day it'd been raining all day so I wasn't too worried. Right as I saw them in the bush, a hawk swooped down towards them so close to me that I felt the wind from his wings on my face! I got a close up view I wouldn't normally get or want to get. It was a young hawk but a much larger, maybe the parent, hawk flew overhead. I rushed and got all my chickens back in the coop! Way too close a call for me!

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
OMG, so scary. I'm surprised that nobody came to her rescue. she couldnt' really fight off the hawk because she was holding and shielding the M2.

we don't have a lot of hawks around here, but once at the park, I had a small liter of puppies and my dog started barking like crazy, a hawk was circling. I had to quickly get all the pups back in the carry bag and we got out of there

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I remember seeing that and then having nightmares about my Paco. I would have done the same thing for sure, even if it were a tiger or bear coming after my baby!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I remember seeing that..what a brave, brave woman to do that...that also proves how incredibly aware you must always be when you have your birds with you outside....I know of an incident where a person had their tiel in a cage outside and a hawk came and took the tiel out THROUGH THE BARS..you do not want to know what that looked like or sounded like.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OMG,what an amazing video. Thank god she though quickly and was able to save him.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I remember this. Its very sad to think about what could have happened to Scooter the M2...you can hear him scream :(

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
She is a hero...............you can totally see the love she has for Scooter by the way she protects him and takes the full hawk attack.

But I agree, where the flip are the rest of the people involved with the show????? Poor thing..........

Vega

Real Name
Joni
Its amazing how one doesn't think of themselves and instead automatically goes to protect something/one they love. I can't image the fear that must've gone through her once that hawk clamped on, yet you can see she's still working to cover the M2.

That being said...Even with the quickest instinct it would take others involved in the show at least 5-10 seconds to realize what was going and react to it. It would've been nice to see the entire clip and not just a few seconds. But please remember this is just a few seconds of what happened, and not the entire story.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
She is a hero...............you can totally see the love she has for Scooter by the way she protects him and takes the full hawk attack.

But I agree, where the flip are the rest of the people involved with the show????? Poor thing..........
The clip ends while she is still being attacked - what is it, 10 seconds? It takes people a minute to react to things sometimes. Thank goodness she noticed his crest going up and the side to side motion of his head wasn't a "happy excited" but an "I'm scared." I want to look around to see where she wound up injury wise--I imagine she got bit by both M2 and hawk.

Its amazing how one doesn't think of themselves and instead automatically goes to protect something/one they love. I can't image the fear that must've gone through her once that hawk clamped on, yet you can see she's still working to cover the M2.

That being said...Even with the quickest instinct it would take others involved in the show at least 5-10 seconds to realize what was going and react to it. It would've been nice to see the entire clip and not just a few seconds. But please remember this is just a few seconds of what happened, and not the entire story.
:iagree:

Vega

Real Name
Joni
I found another clip of this video. At 11 seconds you can see someone running to the woman's aide.(as the screen goes dark) From what I can tell the man appears right when the first video shuts off the attack. Watch closely, you can see when her hand reaches back to grab the hawk on both videos, that's how I estimated the time.

YouTube - Hawk Attacks Woman + Parrot

I wanted to be detective in another life LOL in the first video at 40 seconds, right before it cuts to the man doing the interview, on the right hand side you can see an arm/foot of the person coming out to help the keeper. Its literally a split second before the cut to the interview. Watch closely...

Last edited:

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Vega, thanks for finding that!

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
I remember seeing that segment on Animal Planet.

Somehow the box that Flash was in for the show had a malfunctioning latch, they thought that he may have been bumping the door;which after awhile popped open. The crowd was the first to notice that Flash was out and circleing for the dive. The amazing part is that Scooter looked up and then the handler realized in that split second that something was wrong.

After all the commentary from audience members they talked to the handler about the experience, she feels like the fact that she protected changed their relationship for the better.

I was happy to see that she thought of Scooter over herself. :))

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
So i found the full 3 min vid on animal planet but i can't view it for some reason....if someone could maybe post it? on that show it usually tells you how the "victims" are doing now...

Status
Not open for further replies.